have you pre-release enabled ?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mantra, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi

about components update , do you have pre-release enabled?

do you think are safe? i mean use the pre-release enable?

thanls

2. the pre-release update is for testing purposes. there is not a security problem if you have them enabled.

taken from the help menu:

pre-release updates might not be stable enough at all times and SHOULD NOT be used on production servers and workstations where maximum availability and stability is required

3. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello mantra

Personally I don't have pre-release enabled , mainly because I just want my system to run as smooth as possible. But if I choose to enable pre released updates, for whatever reason, then I would definitely ensure myself that I had, a up to date image of my system. Just to be on the safe side. Basically the motivation for enabling pre released updates is, if you have a issue , that you want to see if a pre release module can fix for you.

Have a Splendid day, :D regards Janus

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes :)
    Yes no problem :)
    Yes :D
    You're welcome ;)

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I find no compelling reasons to enable pre-release module changes, this is entirely the choice of the user.

My personal experience with ESET product over the time I have been involved with ESET software would lead me to state that a non pre-release environment is better overall for the stability of your software and consistent detection of threats.

Your mileage may vary.

6. er34

er34 Guest

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

mantra, you'd better enable them. Being on pre-release means you get some bugfixes slightly before the majority of people. I have configured pre-release update on all the people I have installed ESET and none have had problems.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but about the components i have never unstood one thing

i have smart secuiry 5 on my desktop w7 64
    smart security 4 on my laptop xp 32bit

i convinced my friend to drop out norton , yes she had a latoptop with norton , she told me it's the best av:cautious:

i installed smart security 4 , trial , nod download about 36mb of update , and i did watch under components , she has Personal firewall module: 1060

i have smart security 4 on my latop too, not trial , licensed and i have Personal firewall module: 1113

she has some components older then me , she have never installed eset in her latop

i tried smart security 5 trial again , compared with mine , different components , she has older components

why?
    should be the components always the same
    can someone explain it?

thanks to all

8. siljaline

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but can you test it?
    i did several times , and i got always the same results

the last time i submit an issue to eset , i have never recieved a response

10. siljaline

I cannot test your software environment based on your software, neither can any of the ESET Support folks. ESET needs to know what you are running and how you are running it.

In addition to what has been posted, submit an issue ticket.

11. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

If find the modules on the pre-release servers are not always consistent. While you can have newer versions of modules, some other modules are sometimes older versions than on the release servers.

Afaik a new firewall module always needs a reboot after it's downloaded to be installed, that might explain it. Also sometimes after the installation when it downloads new modules, after a reboot it can find new modules again, so then a second reboot might be required to have the latest versions.

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    i did not know it
    but i have on my pc and laptop i have never had a reboot or a warning

i added the my license to her laptop , quickly it did perform an update with all the components updated without reboot , Personal firewall module: 1113 should be the last
    but now i have the problem to delete my license on her laptop
    i tried to uninstall and re-install but nod find the license , i guess i have to remove registry or file o_O o_O

the point is the trial version doesn't update components!

13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yes, there are quite a few AV programs that automatically/invisibly download patches/module updates and install them on reboot without informing the user.

When V6 was released I installed it with a trial license but it did succesfully update the modules.

14. the trial version is a fully functional and updateable version of the product but it only lasts 30 days (i think).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.