Have You Ever Blindly Defended A Browser?

Discussion in 'polls' started by DrBenGolfing, Feb 13, 2013.

?

Have You Ever Blindly Defended A Browser?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    76.0%
  3. It depends

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Have you ever blindly defended a browser, or do you know someone that has?
    No options were given so this isn't really a poll, but you can do your own Yes/No in posting replies.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. DrBenGolfing

Not me, but all one has to do is look at just about any Opera thread, here, on CNET, Opera forums.

3. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

I love Firefox. It was the first browser after Internet Explorer that I tried and I like the classic UI with tabs on the bottom and address bar on top. I have tried for several months at a time to use all other major browsers and always came back to Firefox. But no, I never defended it blindly.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I used to blindly defend Firefox but that was a long time ago.

5. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

All the browsers today have their advantages, so no I will not defend a certain browser...I think they all fair well.

If you asked me this question about 10 years ago, my response would probably be different.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Speaking from personal experience i will defend comodo dragon browser.
    Reason being it blocks far more malicious downloads than firefox which is the browser i was using.
    I love firefox but its download protection is awful and ive proven this by some tests.
    Recently i submitted a rootkit for analysis at the comodo forum because it crashed the virtualized dragon browser after i ran the download which dragon had blocked by the way.
    I then tested the same rootkit against firefox and not a peep at all and allowed the download without question.
    Ive tested both browsers against malware and dragon was the winner for me.
    End of story.:D :D :cool:

7. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

No, never. I have tried about 20 different browsers and have settled on Firefox 'clones' simply for standardisation.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No, they all have their pluses and faults. I use what works best at any given moment...

9. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Nope. Anytime I "defended" a browser, I did it using rational and logical arguments.

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Never, all i say is which one is my favorite and recommend it to friends/relatives but i never go in a flame war for a browser. :D

11. southcat

southcat Registered Member

I would never blindly defense any software.:)

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Liar!
    Just kidding. :)

13. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

No, I choose my browser(s) because they meet a list of specific requirements. Even so, it is difficult to find other browsers that provide you a feeling of comfort considering I feel more adept at hardening Firefox than any other browser except maybe internet explorer. I do use other browsers, so I'm in no way biased to opera or chrome. I just don't prefer them for everyday use.
    -----------
    On a side now, I was on internet explorer for school a couple minutes ago and panda detected it's first drive-by infection in over 4 months. I'd like to point out that I completed my school related searching and was browsing in a clean sandbox. So the infection was picked up at some point while navigating two tech sites: engadget and techradar. Not certain which site triggered the infection, but luckily I had sandboxie. Later I might retest with Firefox sandboxed and see if I can recreate the event.

14. southcat

southcat Registered Member

I agree with you.:) That is rational act.

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't think that anyone has 'blindly' defended Opera here. I have always liked Opera but I am well aware of its shortcomings. Of late, it has been running well for me (x86 & x64). It still acts strange in GMail, AOL Mail & GMX Mail. It still breaks some Yahoo! pages for me. It has always been a bit odd but I like many of its features. I don't believe that it is a matter of 'blind' defence even with its fans, more a case of great enthusiasm by its users more probably. The first browser I really used other than IE was Firefox. On my notebook IE 7 was slow & probably the worst browser I have ever had the misfortune to use. The day after I purchased the computer I downloaded Firefox 2 & never looked back. I have never really used IE on any computer I have owned since. The first thing I now download is Firefox onto any new machine. After all, it's what IE is for, right? I do have a soft spot for SeaMonkey (& it has its own foibles) & regularly use it as a portable as well as a back-up to Firefox. I'm not a huge fan of Chrome but I can use that as well if needed. All of them are far better alternatives to IE in my opinion. I think that there is a definite distinction between enthusiasts, who are usually well aware of any shortcomings in any specific software, & the fanboy mentality, whose raison d'etre essentially escapes me. There are those type of fanboys even here on Wilders. I honestly don't understand how anyone can get that fanatical about binary code. Having said that, I don't understand football fanaticism either.

16. Wild Hunter

Not right. Old joke that needs to die. IE 9 and 10 are usable and real alternatives IMO.

17. Wild Hunter

Also, I would like to add to this thread that I've seem far more people blindly "attacking" browsers than blindly "defending" them.

To "defend" things requires more mental effort, knowledge, etc. To "attack" is far easier and requires no effort IMO.

18. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

19. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Are these "blindly defended" threads meant as rhetoric questions? :p

Anyway, here's my lines of thoughts..

There's a high probability in that a person whom blindly defended something/anything would also blindly defend his/her actions for doing so. Then again, he/she would blindly ignore this proposition and claim not to have blindly defended something.

My theory (yet to be proven scientifically): Any human is fallible and must have blindly defended something before. Since we're human, it's understood that most of won't admit it.

P.S My blind opinion.

20. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That is a subjective concept. Old jokes often have some basis in fact.

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Bingo! A wonderful observation. :thumb:

22. DrBenGolfing

Good, thoughtful responses, Wilders members!

23. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't think anyone consciously defends something blindly. If they were aware of it they probably wouldn't be defending it.

24. DrBenGolfing

Right on, but peoples perception of reality differ wildly.

25. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

No, not blindly. I think that the browser I use is best for me and I have told people about why I think it is best for me. As with everything, nothing suites everyone. Sure, there is an element of persuasion, sort of hoping that other people will see it my way. Or at least get some positive info when they ask what browser to use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.