Have been using KAV vers 7.00.125 and now licence expires ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wills, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Hi, I have been using vers. 7 of KAV and PrevX...now the purchase 'Edge' and have had few issues.
    Now my key for vers. 7 runs out at the end of the month and I have googled several comments and reviews and visited the forum.
    From what I have read I see some grey areas of concern that was not in the previous version.
    I would appreciate comments from any users here as when I try the forum posting, I don't believe my questions are respected.
    I simply want to know the 'pros' and 'cons'....I know not all apps are flawless and I would just appreciate down to earth replies.
    It is not that I am looking to criticize the new version. I simply want to know if it is the app for me !
    Thank you and cheers.

2. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Just a suggestion- you have read a couple of viewpoints, and highlighted a few areas that possibly concern you... so why not download a trial of the new version and see if those concerns are justified or something that really wouldn't bother you. Different people/computers have different experiences with the same software which is why you shouldn't base your judgement solely on the experience of others. I understand that sometimes it seems pointless upgrading if whatever you currently use has served you well, however as the threat landscape is constantly changing security programs get updated with new features to combat them, and this sometimes means a fair bit of change in the way the program operates and a big learning curve for the end user.

Here you will probably find a good dose of both the good and bad camp- people with positive impressions of the new version, and people who have had some problems whilst running it. I'm not saying their comments are not valuable, but at the end of the day any number of comments will not substitute an actual test drive on your machine.

Best,

Baz.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Hi, thx for the comments and the 'non-attack' spirit from which you expressed them
    In past years I have found Kasp Forums informative and respectful of the user and whatever demise he/she may be in as reason for the 'post', however of late...the atmosphere there has changed.
    I find it worrisome to post as I am simply an inquisitive user with any of my software and not posting to 'nit-pick'.
    I find here at this forum one is less inclined to feel attacked or embarrassed for an inquiry.
    JMHO...I wanted to ask.... if I try out the new version and simply want to pay to update my licence for version 7 as I have seen some users do.
    How is that possible, as I know that it is not advisable to have 2 a/v's or for that matter other security software that run in the background installed.

I have seen several Kasp users indicate that they by choice decided simply to stay with the vers. 7 until next year when its life line expires.
    I could be one of them.

So what does one do to insure no loss of vers. 7 o_O if I should decide to try the newer version.

Again, I indeed respect the tone of your response.
    Thank you.
    Cheers:thumb:

4. Baz_kasp

Do you have your current activation code or keyfile, plus the V7 installer handy?

5. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Yes I do, as mine is a store purchase copy.
    I have to say that a lot of my apprehension about KAV now stems from treatment that I have had and seen others receive lately when a query is made. I know business must be tough out there for software sales, but I believe a 'customer' will remain loyal if treated as he/she would treat others.
    A simple principle I try to practice.
    Forums are great to exchange help and ideas...best when the tone is not demoralizing.
    I have left many forums when I see this happen and of course resort to the use of Google, however when it comes to new versions of A/V's, I like to believe that there are people out there who take my query as a genuine question and not as an attack on the ' product'.
    Again, kind regards.

6. Baz_kasp

OK, then that should not be a problem.

This is just a rough guide to what I would do in your case:

First of all, you may want to export your current V7 settings so that you do not have to tweak it all back if you decide to revert to V7. There should be an option in settings somewhere, will try to remember the specific location.

Then head over to http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates and download the latest version installer for the product you are/want to use.

After that, it would be best to completely remove V7 via add/remove programs before installing the new version to make sure that nothing goes wrong during upgrading. Reboot the computer when prompted.

After reboot, launch the installer you downloaded and follow the prompts. You can either use your current license to activate it when prompted, or activate the 30 day trial. Reboot when prompted. (They should be getting rid of the need to reboot with V9/2010)

Voila....tweak and test to your enjoyment. Only one downside is that V7 settings are not compatible with V8 settings so you cannot import the V7 settings into the new version.

Any questions, let me know.

Cheers.

7. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Thx, just so that I understand correctly, as I mentioned that I am not tech oriented.
    Vers. 7 that I have currently installed I have to export the settings out...not sure that I understand that.
    And then not sure if that means if after I give the new version a test drive and then say I want to revert back to version 7 that I simply import it back after deleting the tested new version which I would imagine would have a 'clean up' tool as well for any remnants left behind?
    Thx again for your interest and the manner in which you respond.
    Cheers.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Exporting the settings is a good idea if you have customized the application - for instance if you've created firewall filtering rules. If you're using it pretty much the way it was "out of the box" then you don't really have anything to save. Uninstall version 7 and then install the new version. If you decide you don't like the new version then uninstall and go back to v7.

9. Wills

Wills Registered Member

How do I get version 7 back and is there a clean up tool for the version 2009 that would be recommended to use?
    Also I guess I should ask if there is a clean up tool that should be used after removing vers 7 before I try out the latest.
    I am always concerned about leftovers and how that could trigger something odd happening when you install a new version.
    Since my licence is running out soon, what happens to my key for version 7?

If I like 2009, then I would want to buy the retail version that I can get from the computer shop that I frequent.
    Would I then use the new key? I always like to have the packaged cd's for all of my software.

Thank you for the ongoing comments and interest.
    Cheers.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You would install version 7 from your CD (you said you had a store purchase copy, right?). Yes, I believe there is a Kaspersky removal tool. Perhaps someone here can provide a link? I would use the removal tool after each uninstall. If you put version 7 back on then use your v7 key - it will be good for whatever time remains. If you decide to keep the new v2009 you could try registering it with the v7 key (so you can use the remaining time), but I don't know if that will work. If not then you will have to use the new key you get with the retail package. Hope this helps.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

12. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I wanted to try out the version 7.01.325...I believe that to be the number. I got sent into a search for the latest version and was made to bypass this version.
    I am not happy as I don't like what I have seen of the new version, nor does the store that sold it to me. It is like the NAV when it came out ...so un user friendly.
    I don't find this a funny experience. And I am disappointed that Kaspersky has taken this time consuming approach for the user when the prior version worked fine for me along with Prevx.
    I tried to get the latest version of 7 and got bypassedo_O
    I would appreciate comments, thank you.

BTW, I need to earn a living with my computer and Kasp 7 allowed no issues. Now I have to spend family time learning this new convoluted application.:eek:
    I don't have time for this type of app approach.
    Kasp...you were once user friendly and now :doubt:

I will not recommend it.

13. socialdistortion

socialdistortion Registered Member

You'll get the 7.00.135 version here.

Code:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/kav_previous_versions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.