Has Eset Smart Security gotten heavier ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fly, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I installed v2.7 last year some time, due to some old posts on Wilders talking about how light it was, and it found it to be too heavy for my liking.

2. roger_m

I just uninstalled NOD32 due to it removing some threats without prompting me first, even though it was configured to prompt before taking action.

In the brief time I had it installed I found it to be very light.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Mhm....what do you mean by removed exactly? I'm not sure how you configured it and wich particular setting you're referring to, but in the defaults nothing is deleted but quarantined and from there you can later restore an item. :doubt:

That's nice to hear at least :D

4. roger_m

I should have been more specific - they were quarantined and not deleted, so I was able to restore the items before uninstalling.

I presume it is just something specific to the initial scan, and for future scans I would have been prompted before the files were quarantined.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If an actual threat is found during the initial first-time scan, it's removed automatically. If a potentially unsafe or unwanted application that some users might want to keep is detected the user will be prompted for an action. It'd be good to know what was detected and removed automatically.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Well, my system froze (WIN XP 512 MB RAM !) while I had four tabs open in Opera en Eset decided to update.

This actually happened after a few recent MS and Flash updates.

I don't want to troubleshoot the issue, but it's not as light as it used to be.

Time for a better system indeed. But for the most basic use this one is just fine.

I wonder if part of the problem is that Eset is (partially?) coded in Assembler ?

7. roger_m

It was mostly Android exploits which were included with one of Android rooting tools I have installed.

It's good that there are prompts for these, as usually I would not want to remove these. But, obviously I would like to prompted before anything is quarantined.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you suspect a file is incorrectly reported as a threat, we recommend reporting it to ESET Malware research lab as per the instructions here.

One can change cleaning level for particular protection modules to "No cleaning" so that he or she is always prompted for an action when a threat has been detected.

9. roger_m

The the files were correctly detected, but not files I wanted quarantined.

Yes, but what about for the initial scan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.