Has anyone tried the latest Minefield releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Eice, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I was quite critical of Firefox ever since version 3 was released, but lately I've taken to playing with the Minefield 3.6 alpha prerelease… and so far I'm impressed. Startup time has been shaved to 6-7 seconds, memory usage hovers around 100-150MB, and there's some new tab features I've spotted so far: super drag-n-drop and IE-style Quick Tabs. It's also surprisingly stable despite its nightly release status, more so than Chromium, but I suppose have 15 years' worth of code under your belt helps.

For those sick of Firefox's performance issues, I highly recommend Minefield. It's (still) not the fastest browser out there, but not much point in quibbling over those milliseconds. :D

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I've been using Minefield for a little over a week and I'll second everything written in the OP. In fact, for me, the startup times have been even faster and memory usage even lower (way under 100MB with 3 tabs open and 3 extensions installed....ABP, NS, NTT). Quite impressed so far. :)

Of course, the tree has been restricted for over a week to patches for bugs blocking Firefox 3.5, so things could change after those restrictions are lifted.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it's nice, and startup time here is just a few seconds... pretty quick. Wish Adobe would get off their you know whats and make an x64 flash for Win. Wouldn't that be nice? :)

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Bit the bullet, and am now a re-converted Firefox/Minefield user - Chromium is getting a bit too buggy lately for my liking. On Vista everything is smooth sailing, on Ubuntu x64 Minefield has this strange quirk of displaying some images in inverse colors when Compiz is enabled... odd.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

From where I can download it?

THanks

6. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  8. Arup

Arup Guest

Brilliant Vista.........poor poor free Ubuntu.........poppycock. FF flies in Ubuntu compared to my XP and Vista installation. It loads faster, runs faster and renders faster. The only issue is that nvidia drivers from repo are version 180.44 which has issue with smaller pixmaps used by FF. Remove them and install either stable 180.51 or latest cutting edge 185.14 and you got yourself a flying FF. I never liked FF in Windows and even though its not my primary browser of choice in Ubuntu, I can live with it nicely as an alternative to Opera when needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.