Hang processing selected files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shblende, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shblende

shblende Registered Member

Installed TI 2009 as a trial on my Windows Vista Home Basic machine and my XP Home SP2 machine. Seems to work okay on the XP system. On the Vista machine after selecting one file to backup I get the "processing" dialog forever. I had to use task manager to kill TI.

Any ideas as to what's going on? As is, TI is useless on Vista.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Mike49th

Mike49th Registered Member

Hi Steve - yesterday I fixed a problem with symptoms similar like yours.

I'm using TI Echo WS on Vista-SP1 and XP Home and both suffered with a very slow start up.

I tried the following solution to turn off the Distributed Link Tracking Client in both XP and Vista, and both systems work just fine now.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1239080

Give it a try, you never know.

Cheers,
    Mike

3. shblende

Gave it a try. Didn't help.

Steve

4. shblende

P.S. When in this state, TrueImage.exe is using 50% of the CPU and doing no I/O.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello shblende and Mike49th,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available here. To get access to updates you should first register Acronis software.

Could you please disable Vista User Account Control?

Windows Vista has the built-in ability to automatically reduce the potential of security breeches in the system. It does that by automatically enabling a feature called User Account Control (or UAC for short).
    The UAC forces users that are part of the local administrators group to run like they were regular users with no administrative privileges. Here is the
    article with the detailed description.

Please do the following to disable UAC:
    1. Go Start > Run, issue "msconfig" without quotation-marks and press [Enter].
    2. In Tools select "Disable UAC"

Then please reproduce the issue.

Please also try to copy the file to the root directory of C: drive and create a backup from there. Check if you have full access to the folder where the file is located. Make sure that you are operating with our program from Administrator account.

Detailed information about Acronis True Image Home product can be found in User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

6. shblende

Alexander,

I was running the latest version of TI 2009.

UAC was disabled.

I was running from an administrator account.

The 15 day trial ended. I tried an uninstall/reinstall to get another 15 days to try to resolve this problem but that didn't work. I'm not about to register/buy something that doesn't work.

Is there a way to get another 15 day trial to try to resolve this issue?

Regards,
    Steve

7. Acronis Support

Hello shblende,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Please check your PM.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

8. shblende

I narrowed it down to a conflict with a Vista service. If I do a diagnostic start which only loads basic devices and services, TI doesn't hang. If I do a selective start loading only system services and not startup items, TI hangs.

So... how do I identify which system service TI is incompatible with?

Thanks,
    Steve

9. Acronis Support

Hello shblende,

Please attach the following information to your next reply:

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application:
    http://download.acronis.com/support/devicetree_Vista.zip
    - Run the application from "i386" folder (run the 64-bit version of Device tree from "x64" folder if you have Windows Vista 64-bit);
    - Completely unfold (click on all plus signs) the \Driver\partmgr and \Driver\volmgr branches;
    - Move the margin to the right in order to see all the items;
    - Make a screen shot and send it to us.

It will help to determine whether Acronis drivers work properly and possibly see what software or service influence the issue.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

10. shblende

Screen shots attached.

Regards,
    Steve

Attached Files:

11. Acronis Support

Hello shblende,

Thank you for the provided information.

Could you please clarify where the source file is placed (whether it's on internal, external, or network hard drive)? What is the size of the file? Do you experience the same issue with this file only? Have you tried to backup another one?

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

12. shblende

I have an internal hard drive with two partitions (C:, D:). TI hangs whenever I select a file or a folder on either partition for a data backup. A backup of the entire c: drive works. It's only when I select files for backup that it hangs.

Steve

13. Acronis Support

Hello shblende,

Have you tried to perform check disk utility? Could you please check the disks for errors:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r" (where DISK is the partition letter you need to check) for every partition that is visible in My Computer. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

Let us know the results.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

14. shblende

CHKDSK ran without errors. I tracked the problem down. TI hangs whenever I have an internet connection. If I disconnect from my home network, backup doesn't hang but doesn't execute (I get a trial version error message). If I'm connected to my home network, TI hangs. When disconnected, I get three messages about an internet connection error but ho hang after source selection.

So... where do we go fro here? Not being able to do a backup if I'm connected to my home network is not acceptable.

Thanks,
    Steve

15. bmonnery

bmonnery Registered Member

I'm having the same problems on my Vista machine and turned off Distributed Link Tracking Client and disabled UAC with no change. Device Tree file is attached. I own two licenses and the one with XP works just fine. Any more suggestions or help? Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

shblende, I have sent a file to you via PM. Please install it and see if the issue remains.

bmonnery, please answer the questions placed in post 11. Also, please let us know the exact version of Acronis True Image and the build number.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

17. bmonnery

Hi Oleg:

The source files are on the computer's internal hard drive (C drive) and should be written to an external USB hard drive.

This is a new USB hard drive (WD Book Mirror Edition 2TB) and it was able to image the C drive although it took 10 hours overnight! I then attempted to copy some files over and that's when I noticed it hanging. I tried copying a single file and same thing - just hangs.

I am using Acronis True Image Home 2009 Build 9709 (I'm not at home but believe that's the build number as I just downloaded the upgrade March 8, 2009).

Prior to installing the WD unit, I had a Maxstor 250GB USB drive and it had no difficulty accepting backups from the computer with the TI Home 2009 product. I was never able to image the computer as ther was not ernough room on the 250 GB drive hence my buying a new one.

BTW, I am able to copy files to the WD external drive using WD's program which I switched off while trying to copy files over using TI.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Bruce

18. shblende

Oleg,

No difference. TI still hangs if I'm connected to my home network.

Regards,
    Steve

19. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Steve, I should create a case for you, it will be easier to handle it via e-mail, because we need a couple of diagnostic files. Please let me know your e-mail via PM.

bmonnery, could you please perform the backup operation from Acronis Booting Rescue Media? This will help to localize the issue. Also, please update your USB drivers, they are available at the appropriate web site of the hard drive manufacturer. Also, please temporally disable Bitlocker or other encryption software (if they are present).

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

20. bmonnery

Hi Oleg:

The backup of a file worked perfectly from the rescue boot disk. I also downloaded WD's updated files which I'm assuming have updated drivers and still the system hung.

Not wanting to leave everything up to you when you're not in front of my computer I did some further checking. Although I used MS Windows Install Cleanup to uninstall the Maxstor files, it still left all files on the C drive and through msconfig I saw the system was calling up some Maxstor files on bootup (obviously just cleaned them from the registry). I unclicked this in msconfig and deleted the Maxstor folder on the C drive. I also noted that my former backup program WinBackup had a scheduler service running and I disabled it. I will be uninstalling this program on the weekend. I also gave full rights to the new WD USB drive to myself and authenticated users although I may go back in and reduce some of the rights to authenticated users since I'll be the only one doing backups.

After all was done I attempted to run a backup of my data files and it worked perfectly. While I used two previous editions of Acronis in concert with WinBackup, the 2009 version obviously did not want to work with its scheduler and probably more importantly the MaxStor files coming into play.

At the end of the week, I will perform a number of backups just to ensure that all works and report back to you.

Thanks for your assistance thus far.

Bruce

21. bmonnery

Hi Oleg:

After powering down my XP machine and HP Laserjet(they're all on a D-Link wireless print server although these computers and printers are connected via wire), I attempted to backup my video camera files and the Vista machine once again hung. It wouldn't even let me backup the data files I did earlier.

So it seems, we're back to the drawing board as my sleuthing and everything else has not worked.

Thanks
    Bruce

22. bmonnery

Hi Oleg:

Turning off my other computer and printer had nothing to do with the inability to make a backup.

I discovered something this morning and obviously it's what I must have done last night when I was able to successfully produce a backup from TI 2009.

Here is how I can get the program to successfully backup files. On the program's home page, if I select Backup, the program then takes me to the next screen - Data to Backup Selection. If I select My Computer, it will image and this works. If I select My Data, it just hangs.

On my Dell 9200 with Vista installed, I need to go to the program's Menu Bar, select Operations and then Backup which takes me to a backup wizard. The backups will work from this wizard and will not hang.

I am not sure why I have to use the Operations - Backup - Backup Wizard for the program to work on the Vista box, however, your programmers now have something a little more solid to work on.

Thanks
    Bruce

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  23. Acronis Support

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have sent a workaround to you via PM that may help, that's why I don't want to share it. Please let me know the results.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

24. Acronis Support

Hello shblende,

As workaround you can try to backup file/folders without compression level (Tools -> Options -> Default Backup Options -> Compression Level). It should eliminate the issue with data backup.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.