green LED light stays on at shutdown?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by taleblou, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:
    I do not know if this is the correct place to put it but i have a issues in the last several days. Ever since I installed mu uninterrupted power supply (APC) /surge protector software in my windows 7 ultimate I am having this continuous LED light being on after computer shutdown (once a day atleast) and even by uninstalling the software for my UPS (apc surge protector) I still get the same issue. I do not know why the green power LED light stays on often at system shutdown? I have checked all power settings and all are as usual. The software was "powerchute personal edition". Before installing the it all was normal. Any help is appreciate it.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

First, I applaud you for adding an UPS to your system. With today's high-speed digital electronics, IMO, every system should be on a good UPS with AVR.

Note I use Power Chute too with my Win7 system with no problems.

Just to clarify, you are talking about the power LED on the front of the computer, right?

In Control Panel > Power Options, what plan do you have selected and what are it's settings? Did you try changing them, saving, then changing them back and saving again? You should not have to do that, but it will reset the settings.

3. taleblou

Hi:
    Thanks for the reply. And yes the front green power light I am talking about. ALso I have checked High performance and the :turn off display" is set to never just like before and "put computer to sleep" is set to never as well as before. I also did the change back and save again. As I said I did not have this issue prior to installing the power chute PE 2 for win 7. I tried everything I can think of but to no avail.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Try stick a piece of tape over it if it bothers you :D

Seriously though, it does sound wierd, especially after you uninstalled it !

How about a system restore ? And what happens if you bypass the UPS, and/or remove the USB cable ?

5. Bill_Bright

That sounds like your problem to me. If the computer is never put to sleep, it will stay awake! I suggest setting the monitor to turn off at 15 minutes then put the computer to sleep 5 or 10 minutes after that.

I think you must be mistaken if you think it was set to never go to sleep before, OR, you are mistaken about the plan used - which is more likely.

6. taleblou

Hi:

Well the settings I always set to "never" when ever I install a windows and it was like that from first day. Issue started after APC parachute installing. Also for the other question I have taken the wire off and the APC is no longer connected to the pc via the provided USB/ethernet type wire. I have tweaked and done so man things. Everything from services tweaking (disabled so many non needed services) to windows tweaking and heck even reset bios to default. Have ran so many tweaking software from iobit advance system care to ashampoo winoptimizer to ccleaner, etc.. but still the issue is there. I do not know for now I guess when ever it happens I have to manually hold the power button to shut the pc down.

7. Bill_Bright

No. What you need to do is change the sleep setting to something other than never.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

taleblou, do you see anything, anywhere in Event Viewer? System or Hardware maybe? I don't know how an UPS interacts with Windows, but maybe its software is conflicting somehow with Windows, even though you did try uninstalling it, maybe it changed something somewhere in Windows?

Attached Files:

9. taleblou

Hi:

Well event viewer system has 21060 events and in the long list there are many red errors starting first on august 28, 2010 to present. There are as follows:
    ERRORS
    1. source:distributedcom (event id:10010)(under general said: crash dump initilization failed) (detail said: \Device\HarddiskVolume2 ) and a bunch of bineries.

2. Service control manager (7001)(The HomeGroup Provider service depends on the Function Discovery Resource Publication service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.)

3. volmgr (46) (The server {D5E8041D-920F-45E9-B8FB-B1DEB82C6E5E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.)( {D5E8041D-920F-45E9-B8FB-B1DEB82C6E5E} )

Also there are many yellow triangle warnings with "!" in it that goes all the way to back before august 28.

Could these errors have something to do with the issue? Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The first errors are probably the worst but I'm not sure if they're related to the UPS problem. Try to record as close as possible, the exact time when you power off the pc and the led remains on, then check event viewer for alerts occurring at that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.