Great RETURNIL memory virtualization

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by EASTER, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Greets Mike W

EASTER here with a question and i sincerely apologize since i suspect this is been raised before at some point in time before with earlier versions, but...........

A user, myself opts to forgoe Disk Virtualization in favor of MEMORY ONLY, OK?

My question to this is, first and normally as a routine WITHOUT the services of Returnil go thru a series of wiping clusters and removing file names from already deleted data just to get them out of the way, because i have tools that show they accummalate and can not so much take up space per say, but nonetheless still occupy disc space in a HD waiting game untill Windows finally overwrites the data of those already normally deleted files.

In your experience and estimation, exercising a normal routine of consistently engaging Returnil's Shadow Mode via MEMORY VIRTUALIZATION, can this be used indefinitely without ever any reprocusions or wear on either Returnil or the MEMORY module itself in it's former and current form? I raised this same suspicion when you first iintroduced this very great RVS but as much distance is passed from then till now, i would invite once again your personal facts on such a routine.

In this manner, i could save eons of time consuming wiping procedures. In addition, when RETURNIL via memory feature is depended on as opposed to Disk, wouldn't the very Physics and makeup of the MEMORY MODULE itself simply dispense of any sessions and i wouldn't find it even with today's most advanced deleted files search tools?

Thanks In Advance.

Many Respectful Regards, EASTER

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Easter,
    Not sure I follow this entirely, but let me know if the following misses the mark:

Memory caching is similar but not exactly the same as using the Windows pagefile. Tracking is done within RAM and the heavy lifting is done with help from the disk. There is very little strain on RVS or RAM (check your resource monitors for verification) and the information placed on the disk is overwritten after each restart of the computer.

As has been pointed out in the past, information can be found using forensic tools as there is still a need to use some disk space as described above. 2.0.1 includes a cache wipe that uses single pass, random write to wipe if the option is configured (Advanced settings)

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thank You MikeW

I completely understand both concerns now and the effort being worked out on the latter.

RETURNIL is a fabulous program and your answers much appreciated or to coin a phrase from an old friend of ours long ago, Brilliant!

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.