GPT Partition with EFI Bios

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by charles_nana, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charles_nana

charles_nana Registered Member

Hi,
    I am trying to restore Windows 2008 R2 server on a GPT partition and EFI bios system to non-EFI bios server. I used Paragon Drive backup 10 Server edition. After restoring server does not boot up.
    When I checked the original disk backup image, it has 3 partitions with one with EFI folder which may be not supported by non EFI server. How can I use Paragon disk backup for servers to restore this server to non EFI bios system.

Thanks in advanced
    Charles

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

There is no way to make Windows installed to GPT bootable under BIOS (non-EFI) system. It is Windows specific issue.
    Windows boot files under uEFI are stored in the small EFI partition and they differ from the boot files for BIOS-mode.
    Windows itself contains both boot files in WINDOWS/boot folder and you can try manually convert restored drive to MBR, get rid of EFI partition and create Boot directory with appropriate boot files. After that you will have to manually add entry to BCD files.
    After all this operations still there is no guarantee that Windows will be bootable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.