Got this email from my ISP

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by acr1965, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

"CenturyTel is not currently using online behavioral advertising tools in any of its markets, and we are delaying our plans to move forward with the deployment of online behavioral advertising services - either through NebuAd or any other vendor - at this time. CenturyTel is delaying its implementation plans so that Congress can spend additional time addressing the privacy issues and policies associated with online behavioral advertising."

Bad thing is that Centurytel is the only high speed ISP available in my area.

2. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

join the club buddy

Over here most of the isp are joing a company called phorm to display ads releated to what you search for :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

But afew mp`s and other people are checking if it is legal over here

i am with one of the ones that want to join first :'( :'( :'( :'(

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Acr, be very glad your ISP is even bothering to tell you they are looking into using these tools, some are not. I don't see any of the "symptoms" of NebuAd or Phorm, so, without heading down to the control room and looking myself, I have to assume mine is not using this crap....yet. The logical part of me knows that eventually they all will use this stuff, but a deep down tiny part of me holds hope that Congress will draw a line and this won't go through.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Would using something like OpenDNS prevent the tracking/profiling?

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

6. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

No, OpenDNS won't help you.

The problem is they arn't culling information from the ISPs DNS Servers, but they are actually tracking the individual packets your recieving and know exactly what servers you are communicating with and the content of the pages you are viewing.

7. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

I am glad that my ISP has point blank refused to sign up to phrom or any other of these services. Brownie points to them ;) (talktalk)

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

BT is using phorm and didnt tell its customers. im quite annoyed really.
    i hpope it is against there terms and conditions and they get sued and they have to stop using it.

9. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

I know BT is a British company, but I'm going to assume that their AUP/TOS are structured similarly to US Companies in that they can do anything to their customers with minimal notice and they are not at any risk of being sued from their customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.