Got spyware while surfing

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by plexitus, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plexitus

plexitus Registered Member

Earlier today, when I was surfing, I got many pop-up windows. After I had closed all, I noticed a problem.
    Words like 'time' automatically was made as a link. (If I remember right, it was linked to a place called "ntsearch" with different words.)

The first thought that came in my mind, was that perhaps I got some spyware and 'advertising malware'. (Although I didn't believe it was possible to get spyware just from surfing, and when I didn't download any programs or files.)

I downloaded "Spybot search & destroy" and "Ad-Aware SE Personal".

I did first a scan with Spybot and removed spyware, then the same thing with "Ad-Aware".

So here is my questions:

1. I got a error several times on sites I am familiar with, that it was unsafe to open it because of ActiveX.
    After I removed spyware, I did never get a ActiveX error again. Do you think the ActiveX errors was because of the spyware on my PC?

2. Do things like this happen often?

3. What is a Tracker Cookie? Is it very harmful? (Anyway, I removed the Tracker Cookies I had.)

As you propably can see, I'm not very good in English writing, but I hope you understand what I write. :)

Regards- plexitus

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Welcome to the Forums, Plexitus!

You will find answers to your many questions here. When you get on the site, add this item to your surfing arsenal.
    ActiveX info. For additional info on topics not covered there, use the search function located here.

You may also consider SpywareBlaster. Thread and download here.
    And relax, your english is just fine ;).

GF

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.