Google Talk

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Any thoughts about it - convenience, ease of use, privacy, security?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mrk

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Is a nice Instant Messenger that also notify you about the new Gmail emails.
    Very simples, efficient, but doesn't have encrypted chat like Skype...
    Maybe in the future we can see that on it...

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I don't trust all those messangers as MSN, Yahoo, Google, etc. Opening a lots of unneeded ports, etc. For that i use Miranda, Gaim, etc. They are open source and do the same as the originals, well no cam support, but who needs that.

4. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I'm using GAIM, but unfortunately, I need some people to use Google Talk and I'm not sure if they'll be savvy enough to connect using GAIM. Although I hope I'll be able to convince them. I did get them to use FF, which is a great one so far.
    I was wondering about how annoying or aggressive it is.
    I did install to test - except for install that goes by default into its place in program files, it's rather unobstrusive. It's ticked by default to start with Windows, which I did not like - but it's disable-able ok. No popups, restarts, ads. Compared to some other IM I tested, this one is milk. Try ICQ ...
    Mrk

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I used Gaim before is switched to Miranda which is more configurable because of the plugins which are available. I am very satisfied with it, never failed me with connecting to the ICQ/MSN/Yahoo/Jabber/Google/IRC protocol.
    I hate MSN, but here in South America everybody is using it; ICQ for my European friends and Google more and more for the connections to USA :)

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

7. mfenech

mfenech Registered Member

I love Google Talk. It's very small on resource usage. I use it primarily to voice chat with friends. It has the best voice quality I've heard, and I've used Skype, Yahoo Phone, MSN. It's not big on fluffy graphics, like smiley's, etc, but it has voice mail that can be retrieved from your gmail account, and drag/drop file transfers (including transferring folders).

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Gaim is definitely a good one. I prefer it out of the others, but to be honest I have not used Miranda in quite some time. Might have to give it a go again.

You can configure Google Talk with Gaim quite easily. Just look here.

9. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I'm using GAIM. The things is some people I need to communicate with will find it very difficult to install and configure GAIM.
    Mrk

10. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Just point them to that link. Its quite easy if you ask me. :)

11. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

GAIM & Miranda are excellent, just avoid Trillian that thing sucks. The original messaging apps like the real AIM yahoo and MSN are becoming bloated crap, with MSN in the lead of bloat, AIM close behind and yahoo about halfway there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.