Google Drive is here

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Does (or will) Google Drive allow uploading and sharing control via a web browser interface like Dropbox does? If not, I can see no use in it for me. An installed software interface only would be extremely limiting...

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Got a multi-sheet Calc spreadsheet up in two steps.

And now in just the one step! Hmmm...

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Yes it has a good web ui for managing/uploading/sharing.

Cheers, Nick

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Usually when i need to share files or upload documents i use MediaFire. :rolleyes:
    Not as convenient as Google but works great for me. :D

5. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Does somebody know the date of release for iOS app ?
    Thanks.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

7. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

That article would have been interesting if it would had said "Goodbye Word & GDrive, welcome LibreOffice & Wuala (Wuala upped their free storage to 5GB".

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Someone may still write that article.

9. guest

guest Guest

10. guest

guest Guest

11. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Attached Files:

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm using it via the Chrome browser. There's no app for Linux as yet. And, even if it was Windows, I wouldn't install anything from sites such as the one mentioned. If it's not available directly from Google. I'd just wait.

13. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

update:

Google Drive is working for me now, it's been running fine for a day or two.

On the other hand, SkyDrive crashes every time I start it. I think it ran ok for the first day or so but not anymore. (I googled the problem and someone else had reported the same thing).

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Could you clarify one thing if you're using Google Docs? Does the sync work both ways? If you edit a file "in the cloud", is the edited version then synced with a version on your PC?

Since there's no app as yet for G Drive on Linux, I can't try it myself!

15. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

yes it does sync. but seeing as how all google doc files are just links and not actual files, this is to be expected

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, I don't know about that. I'm of the opinion that they are actual files.

There's an extension available for the Chrome browser that enables one to view Google Docs offline. After installing it and setting things up, on that particular laptop, if I've enabled view off-line, and if I disconnect from the internet, I can still click on the GDrive link and it will open my G Docs home page. I can view, but not edit, any G Docs file I like. I can even do a "select all" and paste the stuff into my local Writer or Calc program.

So, no. At least in the context I describe above, they're not just links. They're actual data. And the data is stored in one's Chrome profile folder. I hope I've made myself clear and that I'm correct (because I've just started getting into this cloud stuff ;) )

17. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

well if that feature is exclusively available to chrome then i cant test it out as i use firefox. so you dont have windows and i dont have chrome lol, maybe someone else can test this out

18. Snowden

Snowden Registered Member

Not a big fan of it so far..I had high hopes w/ SaaS Docs integration...but right now it seems like it's fallen way short. I don't see any benefits of DropBox.

Personally, I use SugarSync... I *really* enjoy being able to keep my directory structure and keep track of what docs I sync over which devices very easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.