Google Chrome extensions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saraceno, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, I always thought that had quite a potential. I thought it burnt a bit of memory though when I used it a while ago.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Browser Defender shares data with Norton DNS, which on its turn gets it from SafeWeb. Or, did you just forget to mention you disabled it? :D :thumb:

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Did not know, disabled

Pitty Link-Extend does not include AVG Threatlabs also

4. EboO

EboO Registered Member

About the extensions cookies for chrome i don't understand the encrypted storage : is it for protect cookies from stealers by encrypting them or is it a backup function ?

5. m00nbl00d

What's been your experience with AVG Threatlabs extension? My experience with LinkScanner Search-Shield/Safe Search, is that it isn't very efficient.

I realize that Threatlabs gathers data from millions of users (I think it does that), so the results should, most likely, differ a lot from Safe Search (one of LinkScanner's modules).

6. Kees1958

Threatlabs has the info of the link-crawler and all websites entered by the users of AVG reviewing web sites. Both the crawler and user entry generate a Safe-Search link analysis. Have no idea on its effectiveness, just reasoned that there is a possibility to add it as an extra.

7. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Okay i have a question. I have been using the official version of Adblock Plus Beta with Comodo Dragon for a very long time and the updates for the lists always happened automatically, that is until lately. I am not sure whether it already happened with Comodo Dragon 16, but it definitely started with CD 17.

The same lists in Adblock Plus for the latest Firefox get updated automatically on a regular basis, but not within Comodo Dragon? So last week i installed the developer version of Adblock Plus Beta but after i manually updated it...it has not updated again.(I always need to update manually lately.) Even though the malware list from Malware Domains got updated in Firefox today it did not happen in CD. (Not automatically at least. )

Is there a difference in how often Adblock Plus Beta gets updated and how often Adblock Plus for Firefox gets updated lately?

8. Morro

Morro Registered Member

No one has an idea about it?

9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Report the bug?

10. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Some may find this extension interesting. It blocks using a heuristic approach. Kind of reminds me of Karma Blocker for Firefox only easier for the user to configure. Seems to work about as well as Scriptno and Adblock together although I'm sure there are gaps in coverage.

Nimi Cleanser -https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gjplafconmhcbbkeebpkokelkghjglec

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Could you clarify what you mean by heuristic in this context? I used Karma Blocker for a while and it required regex.

Edit: I see the extension's link mentions semi-heuristic. The extension itself seems very powerful. I'll wait for our fearless testers to give it a go.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  12. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I took heuristic, as the creator of the extension mentions, to mean by using patterns or rules, as an alternative to blocklists.

I like that it will remember per-site blocking options. Karma Blocker required knowledge way over my head to tweak it.

13. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i tried it.
    i have no idea how it works.
    it seems to do whatever job it's doing without user input at all.
    no info whatsoever about, anything, really.

uninstalled.

14. m00nbl00d

For quite sometime that I've been unable to properly access Chrome Web Store. I can access any extensions page with JavaScript disabled, but as soon as I enabled, then I get:

An error has occurred

There was a problem loading the item. Please refresh the page and try again.

Then, the options to "Reload" or "Close". I tried a few days back in a relative's Google Chrome, stable version, and got the same thing. :doubt:

Interesting... The one thing that becomes enabled, when JavaScript is enabled is... guess what... yes, you got it... Google Analytics.

As soon as I allowed Google Analytics, I can access the extensions pages just fine!!! :thumbd: :thumbd:

I actually had to disable my hosts file and AVG Do-Not-Track extension, to allow any Google tracking. Miserable bastards! They got no other name! :thumbd:

-edit-

This for sure makes me want to contact with the European Comission. Maybe they have urges to smash Google. They had them against Microsoft... so... lol

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You da man :thumb:

Did you poke around in the extension's folder to get any sort of clue. And what did you monitor? How?

(The way I check things is just the obvious stuff: the visual appearance; after exiting a site, I look in about:cache to see what has been saved to cache; I look at my Privoxy log file to see what connections were made; I look the new cookies.)

I'm still not in a hurry to try it :D

16. moontan

i did not monitor anything.
    i was hoping that the pluging itself would tell me what happens without me having to turn into a rocket scientist.

who know? maybe it works.
    i don't care about the UI frankly, and the lack of feedback is off-putting, to say the least.

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Sheldon Cooper has a very low opinion of rocket scientists.

'kay. I'm pretty well set with what I have right now and so will let this one pass me by.

Edit: moontan, please take a look at this (-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Dvc1NrZJI-). Mods pleeeez don't delete. Pleeez.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  18. moontan

lol. :D

19. Kees1958

Not blessed with the theoretical intellect of Sheldon Cooper, so had to do some practical research (yes I can allways become a History teacher, no need to be creative, only reproducing facts someone else collected).

So tried a few sites:
    ABP+ versus Nimi Cleaner
    V blocks "in flash" advertisements
    V blocks flash pop-ups from loading

Nimi Cleaner versus ABP+
    V uses 6.7K versus ABP+ 47.7K (less memory)
    X heuristics prevent some websites from displaying 'normal' content

See pics, Nimi stops the same ads as ABP (left without, right with Nimi giving same result as ABP+), keeping ABP+ because it does not break site display

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  20. Kees1958

Also latest Bitdefender traffic light has no issue with dragon incognito mode anymore and seamless browsing (ping time now consistantly 4 ms lower lower than previous versions on download test sites with random usage at different time frames, day , morning, evening, night)

21. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Nimi is blocking those ads for me.

nimi.jpg

It just came out with a new version yesterday. It has 5 shields vs 8 previously. It seems to need less tweaking than the previous version to avoid breaking pages. There is also a pattern subscription support but I can't find any info on subscription urls.

nimi2.jpg

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Your second pic is informative. Thanks!

23. Kees1958

Edited post, was not clear that Nimi did the same job as ABP+, but for instant www.volkskrant.nl or www.nrc.nl did not display well with Nimi.

24. tlu

tlu Guest

I tried it and went back to ABP which blocks more and more reliably (using the usual filterlists like EasyList and Fanboy's). Having said that, I must concede that ABP for Chrome is still far from being on par with the FF version (you can't edit the filterlists, there is no list of blockable items). However, that's true for many other extensions as well, like AutoPager, HttpsEverywhere, Perspectives, the available cookie managers, ScriptNo (compared to Noscript) and so forth.

25. rinem

rinem Registered Member

I'm running ABP+ with a light custom filter list and Nimi Cleanser with "Block Shield" off and other shields on (to replace my notscript/scriptno extension). I'm loving the fast surfing in Chrome again. :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.