Google bypasses admin controls with latest Chrome IE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mvario, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvario

mvario Registered Member

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Why does your sentence and quote link to Wilders?

Anyways, this looks quite useful, I might slip it on my school computer (which still uses the snail IE8 ).

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I was wondering the same thing.

Anyway, interesting nonetheless. Can't say I would use it however.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

What exactly does this product do?

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's an IE plugin that replaces the rendering engines with Chrome's WebKit and V8.

6. Hungry Man

That's awesome.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So, is this good news or bad news? :rolleyes:

8. Hungry Man

Microsoft would say bad news.

Google would say good news.

9. MessageBoxA

MessageBoxA Registered Member

Hmmm,

Google frame is essentially nothing more than a regular BHO with the exception of taking up the entire IE client rect and taking advantage of the IWebBrowser2 COM interfaces. However... just imagine the possibilities here... malware could hijack the entire rendering process with a customized 'rendering frame' ... just imagine what type of advertisements would be possible if Adware have complete control of an entire html/css/java rendering engine.

I predict that this will drive System Administrators crazy. Perhaps some of them will go postal. Just imagine spending several hours deploying group policies for internet explorer on all of the office workstations... google frame will instantly bypass all of them. Sure it will be possible to globally disable "Allow third-party browser extensions" but it might not be feasible for all office environments. The only other option is to disable the google frame GUID. But then you can bypass this by simply recompiling google frame with a new GUID.

My suggestion for Microsoft would be to add a new group policy. "Only allow signed browser extensions".

Best Wishes,
    -MessageBoxA

10. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I have no clue :rolleyes: Something must have gone wonky when I was putting in the link to the article o_O

11. mvario

mvario Registered Member

It's been around a while, but what's new, and the reason for the article, is now Google figured out how to get it to work for users without admin rights.

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It already does. This news was announced a few months back and all I've heard is rage. :(

13. Hungry Man

I don't see why Google found it necessary to do this. Keeping it admin-only should have been good enough.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Has anyone at Wilders used it?

To what extent does it replace having the Chrome browser installed?

15. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

I am using it for months, but I dont use IE for other than updating Windows. But yeah, I dont like the way they add google update in startup and scheduled jobs. Other than that, in my experience it is good, especially I am seeing much improvement of time its taking to update windows. I have a lot MS products installed, and it used to take at least 30 min to check for updates even when the computer is almost idle, sometimes even 45 min. But after installing Chrome Frame, its down to 10 min. Loading time of BHOs have improved too. While testing via browserscope, it detects the Chrome Frame and the results are same as of respective Chrome build. But I am not sure how sandboxing works via Chrome Frame and if there are any potential problems for this "hybrid" activity.

The rendering speed is quite good and can confirm my current setup doesn't have any problems with it as far I have tested. Prevx SafeOnline works too with this. But remember, it sets to check for updates each hour!!! It can be checked in Scheduled Jobs, but after each update this will be added again. Also it needs to be allowed to connect to net, it did not work here when I disallowed to connect.

Note: If checked using Secunia, it detects Chrome Frame as Chrome's actual installation and recommends to update if available.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks for sharing :)

What I'm getting at is to what extent Chrome Frame can replace the Chrome browser. So what will happen to the built-in Flash and PDF Reader? Will these be there assuming CF is installed on a Win PC that has never had the Chrome browser installed?

If there's a FAQ on CF, I'd appreciate a link. I haven't come across one.

17. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Okay, that's a bit of a downer :(

But there's this near the end ...
    On balance, my hasty conclusion is that there's no point in going the CF route if there's the freedom to install a regular Chrome browser.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.