good virtualization utility that doesnt modify the mbr?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by chrome_sturmen, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

hey guys, on my c: partition I am running server 2003, with firstdefense isr, and its working great, no complaints. for base imaging I am using acronis. I decided to install windows xp on a seperate partition, for games mainly, rather than from within firstdefense, as sometimes it's advantageous to actually have that true second partition. so now that I have windows xp installed, like with server 2003, I am looking for that 2nd layer of protection, only I cant use firstdefense with both server 2003 and windows xp. neither shadowuser or deepfreeze run on my system for some reason. can anyone recommend a good virtualization program that compliments acronis well, which doesnt modify the master boot record?

t.i.a.

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I would highly recommend - 'BufferZone'. Look where your most vulnerable and then decide if you would need the Full version (paid), or a free version which will cover certain programs like Browser, IM Client. Here is a link.

http://www.trustware.com/

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Question 1, DeepFreeze and ShadowUser do not run - in conjunction with the other two - or not run at all.

Question 2, why not use Acronis? Unless you install the Startup Recovery Manager, it won't touch the MBR.

Mrk

4. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

in answer to question 1- deepfreeze nor shadowuser run properly, when I install either, I have an nforce chipset and have heard there're some compatibility issues with these programs.

I will be using acronis for base imaging, but would like to use a complimentary utility so that I wouldnt have to make new images often, basically the same reason I use firstdefense isr in conjunction with acronis over on my server 2003 partition. I remember a few months back, I was trying an experimental program, and thought that I should first make a fresh acronis image. I didnt feel like taking the half hour to make a new image, and I figured the new program would be ok, but it wound up bluescreening my system. I had an older acronis image and restored from that-but I lost a month of work, because I didnt want to take that half hour and make an image before trying the program. So then, acronis is great for base imaging, but within that, I like a faster snapshot or rollback utility, only like I said, deepfreeze and shadowuser neither work. If theres nothing available, i'll just have to learn to be more disciplined about making new acronis images as I progress through the setup of xp.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Which Nforce? I has it too on one of me comps. Are you using the Nvidia firewall perhaps? This one is a naughtly little dog.
    I really can't tell you about older versions and specific incompatibilities you experienced, but I'm using Acronis on systems with dual-boot and GRUB, and have successfully restored both the C and Linux partitions without touching the MBR.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.