Good old , New AVG

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I have once again run the gamet of trying different Antiviruses and once again have returned to AVG. PC Freezing after install of AOL AVS, False Positives from Avira, and slowdowns with Avast which I like have made me now want to try and stick with AVG. I beleive the new version has vastly improved and has in the past always ran well on my PC.

2. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Are you referring to AVG Pro? You're absolutely right! Great, simple and light scanner, no hassle configuring. I've always liked it and I never had any idea of not being safe. I've seen AVG stopping things......I'd never expected!

3. duke1959

I actually was given a 2 year free sub by someone for the AVG Internet Security Suite which includes the Pro version. I like the FW, but the AS Component leaves alot to be desired for and only has signature based RealTime detection so I don't have it installed. I use a-squared Anti-Malware in RealTime, and not sure if I will keep the FW installed or not.

4. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Switching between Nod32 and AVG Antivirus Pro behind a Nat router, Windows Vista with firewall enabled and Windows Defender. Feel secure enough. Find AVG running smoother!
    These are the two AV programs I find very well working for me. I've tried them all.......but ended up with these. I'll be switching to AVG completely when Nod32 license expires, unless Nod32 v. 3.0 is something special!

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I've been using AVG Anti-Malware more than I've used any other AV at this moment. At the end of the day AVG leaves me satisfied, and it stops things decently enough, so its a happy thing. :D

AVG has an excellent value for money (for my pocket), which is also one reason why I like it.

6. duke1959

It seems to work well with most other security software programs as well.

7. mecute

mecute Registered Member

One thing NOD32 and AVG has in common is it's being low on resources. Yes, both can run even in Pentium 150 32mb memory, smoothly ... and fast.

One thing that makes AVG ahead of NOD32? :D I can download its definition file manually, even without logging in. Di sila madamot...

8. abcdboy

abcdboy Registered Member

LOL. Pinoy.

I like AVG too.. Light on resources and high detection rate (although not as high as compared to others).

I like Avast too!*puppy*

9. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

If you look at test results in here and here too, you can see that there are actually only few av:s that can compete Avast or AVG in total detection. Who could even believe before that Avast (even Home) is better against Worms, Bots/Zombies and Adware than Kaspersky? The AVG Free has the same results as tested but only Adware detection is considerably worse than the tested Pro version has. And finally these tests are as trustworthy as the Av-Comparatives ones. :eek:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep the av-test results are always interesting,

so many tested, i'll look forward to the next one. (whenever that may be)

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

12. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Are you sure about this?The Pro has the ewido engine,which for me makes a big difference in trojan detection.I have often visited sites with the specific purpose of finding infected files and most of the time,AVG Free wouldn't find anything wrong,while AVG Antispyware on demand,would flag the malware.I think the "spectacular" increase in detection of AVG AntiMalware ,is thanks to the incorporation of the Ewido engine.

On the contrary,i have seen AVG Free fail so many times,that i now consider it almost a placebo,which gives a false sense of security.The machine of a friend ,protected by AVG Free,was having crashes,CPU spikes,etc.I told him to install another free AV and it found more than 20 infected files.And frankly,i am not surprised at all.AVG is fine untill you will need it to act.When that time comes,cross your fingers,because i wouldn't be so sure it will catch the malware.Sometimes i really wonder if there is a logical explanation of WHY AVG is SO light.If you don't install the mail scanner,all it consumes is 3MB RAM. :blink: Now,either they have found a miraculous engine that does the same job the others do with 10 times that amount of ram,or their engine isn't as good.

P.S.: A word about "antivirus tests".I am amazed,how usually they all do so well and end up so closely in detection rates.Then again,when i go to sites with live malware,the scan results at Jotti's are far from almost "perfect" or close.I wonder how come in tests most antivirus end up with 95%+ detection rate.Someone is doing something weird.Either those sites have "weird" malware,that shouldn't exist,or there is something pesky going on with "tests".

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Not all AV's need alot of space or hardware to use,

DrWeb can use 2-4mb of ram, (using 9-12mb of harddrive space), if the mail scanner is not used, and its engine is far superior to avg's.

however, i think are you right that avg 'free' would lack a decent amount of detections due to it NOT having the ewido engine.

i still feel avg free is fine, but i would run a spyware/adware program maybe, once a week [ondemand] with it.

avg-antimalware however, has the ewido engine and is probably what most people are after these days if choosing to switch to avg.

avg have good renewal prices too, which Firecat has mentioned a few times, which is always good and of course, free upgrades to the newer versions aswell.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  14. Fuzzfas

Fair enough your explanation about Dr. Web.

As for the Free without the ewido part,i can only propose a google search for "HiJackThis AVGcc.exe" and watch the carnage begin.Endless pages of users in every language,using AVG Free,infected and when they are told to use another scanner,even a web based one, they don't beleive their eyes.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

even avg free will probably reach 85% or above, the other 10% or so come from the ewido package in the paid versions of avg.

i dont think avg free is poor, but to compare it to other free versions, avast have a much better detection, an http scanner, instant messaging scanning etc etc, too many features which avg free (or paid aswell) just dont have.

ive been saying it for a while on here now, but i still find it hard to believe that avast Home is a free product. :thumb:

16. Fuzzfas

I agree about Avast.It is steadily improving and they practically give away in the free version the same engine as the PRO.As for the modules ,there are way too many to cover everyone's taste.

As for the percentages that antivirus would catch in tests,these are the only tests that i care of:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/
    http://www.virustotal.com/estadisticas.html

What THEY say and what the various VB or over 95% say,just don't match.And i prefer judge by what i see.I don't care how they do it,what they upload in there,i just know there are scanners that detect much more often than others and no matter how one tries to explain it,when a sample is so huge and random for all of them,there is only one logical explanation.

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Pro version is not the same as Anti-Malware edition. Pro version is the same engine as AVG Free, but with added adware/spyware protection via the AVG engine. AVG Anti-Malware adds the Ewido engine and database to the already existing malware protection (including adware/spyware detection) in AVG Pro. Though of course, it still doesn't make much sense to me why Grisoft even sells AVG Pro now. The price difference between the Anti-Malware and Pro editions is very low, and hence it doesn't make any sense from a customer viewpoint to get AVG Pro and from a marketing viewpoint to sell the product.....unless of course AVG Pro is intended as a demonstration of what the engine in AVG free can be capable of. :doubt:

Like others have already said, the primary difference in AVG free compared to the paid versions is the total omission of Adware/Spyware/Riskware detection. As far as other categories go I don't think Grisoft is that bad. I would still say that AVG free would score around 88 to 90 percent in the last on-demand comparative by AV-comparatives. :)

As far as the engine goes, I have no idea why it should be so fast, but I really do not think AVG's engine sucks. In the past, up to version 7.0, the engine was indeed lacking in archive and packer support (or at least it seemed so from past forum posts since I didn't use AVG 7 after all), and wasn't all that great on detection rates either. This has improved quite well with AVG 7.5, and I can safely say that the engine is at least decent. :)

And yes, Avast is probably the better free product because it does also include spyware protection. Of course you can always try AVG Free + Spyware Terminator, but even then I feel Avast is better.

18. Firefighter

Maybe AVG Pro is considerably lighter on system resources than the AVG Anti-Malware. Just a thought. :doubt:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

19. Fuzzfas

Duh,to tell the truth,i thought that the "PRO" and the "Antimalware" were now the one and the same.I hadn't realised that the PRO with only the antivirus part was still available. :ninja:

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

IMHO, they should just ditch the current free version, turn the pro version into the free and turn the anti-malware version to Pro. :D

21. abcdboy

Although I use Avast, I can still say that AVG is a trustworthy app considering that it has one of the better detection rates, and it has a free version.

Mind you, so many computers are being protected by AVG free and their users are satisfied! Still, so many users are ignorant when it comes to spyware. So AVG Free users, do you have an antispyware app?? You badly need them! Just use spyware terminator or windows defender if you don't have one.

22. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

I have AVG pro + Firewall on 2 pc's and it's really, really light. I did try AVG internet security (which includes the A/S engine) but I found it slowed my old dell laptop in some respects. Although it didn't cause any problem with cpu demanding games, it made Rhapsody and Firefox really slow to open. I'll maybe try it again if I get a new pc.

Overall, AVG has served me and my family quite well. It only missed 1-2 nasties out of about 300 over the years. :)

As far as the free edtion, I do agree that you need to run some sort of A/S app, just to be sure. So much adware/spyware around these days.

23. Firefighter

I thought so before, but now I'm a bit confused. My son is using AVG 7.5 Free AntiVirus + COMODO BOClean + SUPERAntiSpyware Free. He has never done a full scan with SUPERAntiSpyware, but I have done it about twice a month and the laptop was always clean. BOClean hasn't caught anything so far. I just don't understand why? He is using Firefox 2.0.0.4 Browser and the Windows updates were done by using the IE Tab extension in Firefox. :doubt:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

24. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Is your son a safe surfer?

Also, having an up to date OS and software goes a long way in keeping a pc safe as well.

25. abcdboy

Maybe because he is a safe surfer and he uses firefox.

Also, BoClean protects computers from spywares.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.