Good backup antivirus software?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Comp01, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Okay, I'm looking for a good, free, backup antivirus, (I am currently running AVG6.0 free edition) I have tried Avast, and didnt like it, so, I was thinking, either 1) AntivirPE (http://www.free-av.com/) or 2) BitDefender free, but, if anyone knows of any others, let me know.

2. minacross

minacross Registered Member

3. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi comp01

Always been very happy with Antivir, but as with good firewalls, it's often a matter of personal tastes, so I'm afraid you'll have to try it to know what to feel/think about it...

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hi Comp01

have a look here;

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Exhibit/5430/s/antivir.html

I agree with Crockett, try some of these free alternatives out on your computer and see which one(s) you like and which gives you no conflicts with your software and hardware.

As virus detection should be your main choice, E-Trust v7 promo looks good and I would recommend this over AVG as your primary scanner.

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Hey Compo, I Think e Trust v7 promo is a good way to go also . especially with the addition of Vet anti virus to its protection recently . Its fine as both real time and on access . And being free is also a bonus. Daily updates and good resource library and I have found they provide fast email support .
    Although there doesnt appear to be much testing done on the e Trust v7 promo ( since the addition of Vet with InnoculateIT) there is one recent test http://www.checkvir.com/index.php?CN=1&CIE=0

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Comp01.

BitDefender Free is a scanner and updater only.

I agree with the idea of checking etrust 7 promo.

7. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Uhh, etrust wont run on my computer (Its a lower end comp), I like AVG myself, easier to use then most AntiVirus programs, and Have had AVG as my main scanner for 2 years now, I have downloaded AntiVirPE installer, to try it, but, should I disable AVG bootup scanner, and hearustic anyalyst before I install it?

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Dunno about that , but if you have a lower end pc , Maybe you could look at using an online scanner for a second opinion .

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes, disable all running processes of your primary AV scanner before trying another one.

Double-check you have killed all of the AVG running processes by using Task Manager or the equivalent.

If you read the URL in my previous post, it will give you the advantages/disadvantages of each of the free scanners.

LowWaterMark who I know has helped you recently, also has a low-spec computer and he runs AVG as his main scanner and F-Prot for DOS as his backup. Worth a try.

And worth considering an on-line scanner as SPC suggested. There are a number of these now;

http://www.johannrain-softwareentwicklung.de/e_online_antivirus_scan.htm

and I would recommend the Panda one.

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

F prot for dos is a good backup scanner on low spec machines,especially if you use art kopps updater with it.

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/index.html
    me

11. Technical

Technical Registered Member

See: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?
    for a backup scanner, the best is Bit-Defender v7.0 FREE.

For just an antivirus, do I need to say anything else?
    avast! Pro of couse :D

12. minacross

And my vote fore Avast4 Home Edition :D :D :D

BTW, welcome aboard Technical :D :D :D :D :D

13. Technical

Thanks ;)

14. minacross

So, if I translated Avast4 into Arabic, Will I receive a free license ? ;) ;) :D
    and is this license renewable for free? :D :D :D

15. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

But why do you need 2 antiviruses?

16. osmethne

osmethne Registered Member

simple:

some products have a higher detection rate than others
    some products have a higher clean-up rate than others
    some products use more resources than others
    some products have more features than others
    some products cost less than others
    some products have a better record of updates than others

and everyone's scale of which of these is important will be different. if users aren't able to find a single products which meet their precise criteria, they will often be tempted to combine two (or more) to get what they want.

note that many people have two locks on their front door for similar reasons.

17. Technical

Good shot! In my opinion... You rule, minacross too... ;)

18. kloshar

But there are many pruduct, who don't leave other antivirus to have installed. Or when windows is loading, it just freeze.

19. osmethne

"But there are many pruduct, who don't leave other antivirus to have installed. Or when windows is loading, it just freeze."

While I agree that certain combinations of products can conflict, this is in no way unique to the AV market, although the risk here is higher because they are by nature low-level tools.

Of course, you should minimise that risk by ensuring that only one AV is configured as "resident", with the others as "on-demand." If you do this, and still find a combo that conflicts, simply roll-back. (This is why so many products are available for evaluation purposes -- 30 days should be more than long enough to find any problems.)

20. kloshar

Wil nod32 work with NAV 2001?

21. Ashak

Ashak Registered Member

Far as I know, NAV and McAfee don't share pc's too well with other AV programmes. I'm itching to put the free F-Secure onto my system just don't know how kindly my VirusScan 7 will take to it.

VirusScan can only be disabled for a maximum of 360 mins so I guess by default the F-Securewould have to be the back up on demand. Not a problem as VirusScan is probably the better product but I'm wondering if if the automatic updates would have to be disabled for the back up scanner, not sure both update features could run simultaneously.

22. osmethne

No idea, I'm afraid -- I doubt many others would know this either, as you're asking about (presumably) the current rev of NOD32, and 3 revs back for NAV, which is not likely to be a common combo. If you're genuinely interested, take a test machine and suck it and see.

23. kloshar

I tried NOD32 and F-prot for windows, and they are working fine. Is this good combination?

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Configured as: (a) NOD32 as the frontline protection & real-time monitor, with (b) F-Prot as on-demand & 2nd opinion? Yeth -- thoitenly sounds great 2 me.

25. minacross

Nod32 -if used as on-acess scanner- doesn't allow access to any file on the HD..
    I tried to use both BF free and Avast4 HE as a backup scanner but both where not able to detect the EICAR while AMON driver is loaded (even if I disabled the AMON for a while, but its driver still loads at the startup)...
    only F-Prot for DOS is working with Nod32 as you sart MS-Dos mode to use it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.