Good anti spyware resident?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by notageek, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

What is a good anti spyware resident shield?

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  2. dog

dog Guest

I'd say none (I don't use any personally). Tight settings and common sense will see you through - Many spyware infections are self-inflicted. I don't see any need for running anything resident. But if it's deemed a necessity I'd say Ewido as it does general malware from trojans to spyware/adware.

3. john2g

john2g Registered Member

BOClean, without a doubt.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for a pure anti-spyware app id so for spysweeper, but i prefer ewido as it covers various types of malware.

5. notageek

I don't use one either but a friend of mine was infected by spyware and I wanted to pass this along to him. I wanted to pass it to him. I thought of ewido but it's high in resources. I want to pass a low resource program to him. Is Ad-Aware Plus any good? I know the scan engine is good but, is the resident good?

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I won't answer this question.....I never answer questions starting with: What is the best etc......:cool:
    In fact I hate these questions ;)

But to the thread title:

At the moment I am using in real time the combi ewido/prevx1 and as of today KAV6(trial). I think this will be a good coverage. Runs extremely well together (on my box).
    As a backup I have SpySweeper and SuperAntiSpyware (both licensed, so with updates).

That said I change my setup frequently, but the mentioned setup works :thumb:

Regards,

Gerard

7. notageek

Gerardwil I changed the best to good. ;)

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Everyday i read posts about BOClean and i do use Ewido free as well but still it is a mystery for me what is the difference between these two and the well known antispywares. Really before coming to wilders I never heard much about these two and still generally people don,t know about these two while they know other antispywares well.
    Ok, if u have to choose between BOClean and spysweeper, which one is better and why? Have anybosy compared the two practically against spywares etc.

Thanks.

9. gates

gates Registered Member

I have been thinking the same question as you. I would buy that produckt but i like to hear some opinions first. o_O

My nod32 needs some help i think :D

edit: I almost forgot to ask one question. If i have plus version can i get all future program updates unles my license expires?

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Here's the combo of products I use targeted against spyware:

1) Spy Sweeper by Webroot (paid) - running real-time shields
    2) Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 2 (to be succeeded by Windows Denfender after July 31, 2006 which I will cut over to about then) Free - runs 57?+ real-time agents
    3) AV PC-cillin IS 2006 (paid) contains Spyware scanner - light weight compared to 1) and 2) above
    4) Ewido Free v3.5 (I run this on-demand)

-- Tom

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ad-aware plus/pro's resident scanner isnt as complex as that of spy sweeper. like spybot's teatimer, it mostly just catches registry changes.
    if u plan on using boclean, id also suggest having some sort of on-demand scanner as well since boclean has no such functionality (boclean can scan individual files and folders but not a disk and theres no scheduler of course).

thus ewido free + boclean is a good combo. one is resident only and the other is on-demand.

12. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

i never really use one.... but Trend micro Anti-Spyware is a nice one..

13. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Spyware Doctor seems good. Resident protection is free, the version that cleans spyware is payware. It's fairly light.

14. rothko

rothko Registered Member

i used to use Spybot S+D, Adaware free, Windows AS and later Defender and SpywareBlaster and Ewido on-demand...

...now i just used Ewido on-demand scan once a week. i got rid of Spybot and Adaware after reading different posts from people saying they were pretty useless, especially if your AV already looks out for spyware. Windows AS seemed good but it's going to turn into Defender which i tried and didnt like so much. SpywareBlaster I removed after reading some posts on how it can slow things down, I'm still in two minds about this and it may go back on yet.

I run NOD32 which have been adding adware, spyware, etc defs for some time now and that along with a Ewido scan once a week and using Firefox and Opera (I alternate depending on my mood!), plus using my brain (knowing
    that software given away free isnt always as great as it seems), i've been kept spyware/adware free and don't have a load of resident or on-demand scanners that need maintaining.

Lee

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I only use my AV, an IDS and a HOSTS File protector with MVPS HOSTS File...

16. notageek

Thanks everyone. I wanted to keep it simple for my friend. I didn't want to go through setting anything up. That's why I asked for a resident.

17. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Install BoClean.It's probably the easiest.
    Ewido is a good choice or Zero Spyware.

18. notageek

I told him about Boclean and he didn't want to pay for it first.

19. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

rothko,
    That sounds odd.....SpyWare Blaster doesn't run as a service.Never heard of the program slowing a computer down.

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is it true? can u give reference of some posts.
    I use it but did not felt any slowdown or may be I could not notice.
    Don,t know what is the experience of others.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  21. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I wished, there was an as-comparatives ...

The feeling of being not clean makes me crazy, after running all these scanners. I need more than that to be REASSURED.

22. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Kaspersky with extended databases. Easily the best anti-spyware "shield" out there (between the ones using signatures or heuristics, that is).

23. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I have a license for Ad-Aware Plus but rarely use the resident scanner(Ad-watch) as i find it too agressive for my tastes. Others may like all those alerts. ;) :D

As to future app updates... yes u are entitled to them.

snowbound

24. notageek

I have KAV installed but I don't have the PD installed. I opted out of installing it when I reinstalled KAV. But anyway. what do you mean extended databases?

25. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Hmmm... I haven't used 6.0 yet. Version 5 had the setting for "extended" databases. Anyway, I found this that explains it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.