Goobuntu?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. Surprise!

I've used tiling window managers a few times myself... They make normal desktop usage a pain IMO, but I can see where they'd be good for long coding sessions, especially on a large monitor. With your windows all automatically lined up, your work flow probably isn't interrupted as much.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yeah... totally not surprised they did that...

Head just exploded, wow.

I guess I'll watch the video because for all the talk of "liking Ubuntu" they have a funny way of showing it by removing Linux support - or having it lacking - from their various products. You'd think they would want to use their own products, no? Maybe they don't use Linux as much as they let on.

edit: Enlightening video, I saw that at 27:50 he mentions, "we don't run Ubuntu on our production machines" but doesn't say what they are using. Though I'm interested in seeing the autotests they publish, if they do.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm probably not going to get a chance to watch that video. They should put up smaller bits. 57 min sucks. I'm trying to download it but I'll have to be very lucky to get it.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I got part of it and what's clear is there isn't going to be a public distro. The mods they make are highly specific to Google's needs.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The goobuntu stuff finishes by about 26 min. After that there are (very) minor presentations on K-, X-, and Lubuntu and a couple more. The sound gets worse at the video progresses.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's really a shame because they start talking about Ubuntu Studio (something I've never heard of before) that perked by interests. It's basically a customized fork of Xubuntu with various audio, video and image manipulation programs. From what I could tell it sounded like they have a good plans for it.

Being as it is mostly default Ubuntu I don't think many would really be interested in it unless they were using their own shell, in which case they could just make that public. But from what I could grasp from the video they let their users have whatever shell he/she wants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.