goback

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by waters, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Guest

if i use norton go back or system restore and i get a virus etc,would i need to clear go- back to remove virus .also will my antivirus scan all of goback history when i do a full scan.Apart from useing up extra drive space this is the only disadvantage i can see with useing norton goback.
    thanks for any replys

2. Technical

Technical Registered Member

I think not. GoBack works on a different level in the system, under the file manager. Of course, if you restore the system to a previous state and at that time it was infected, the infection will be active again.

GoBack does not work like Windows SystemRestore. I think you don't have to disable it or clean the history while cleanning from a virus infection.

Generally, you can exclude the gobackio.bin file from scanning.

3. mountainman

mountainman Guest

Yeah GoBack is a great program, saved my backside more times than I can remember. Technical is right you can't get reinfected by the GoBack history unless you go back to a time when you were infected. The GoBack revert data is stored on a separate partition which makes it safe from reinfecting you. You don't need to shut it down to be safe from reinfecting yourself, just don't go back to a time when your hard drive was infected. I never disable GoBack (unless I have to) to erase its history because it takes 2 hours to shut the frigin' thing down!

4. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Not always... You can have it at the same and unique partition (C:\) for instance. And the fact of being in another partition is not the cause for non infection. You're right, it won't reinfect the computer but the cause is that the history is only 'available' is the user goes back to a time when your hard drive was infected.

Yeah, sometimes it takes a lot of time to be disabled.
    Does anybody know why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.