Go from multiple boot to single boot

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by wrd, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrd

wrd Registered Member

Dec 21, 2010
    I hope that someone will help me with this problem.
    I am using Paragon HDM 2010. See attached setup.

When I upgraded to Windows 7;
    1. Cloned partition SYSVista (D) from Disk 1 to external Disk 2
    2. Installed Windows 7 on new SSD (Disk 0)
    3. Really missed up something.
    4. Wound up with 3 boot systems (asked on start up)
    Windows 7 (Disk 0)
    Vista (Disk 1)
    Vista Home Premium (Recovered) (Disk 2)
    5. Cannot change BIOS to boot up from Disk 0
    Get "NTLDR Missing" message
    6. The boot partition is SYSVista (D) on Disk 1 because it is the only primary partition on the 3 drives that cannot be changed to logical.

I would like use HDM 2010 to make SYS (C) on disk 0 the boot partition so that I can now delete the other two Vista partitions.
    I am afraid to do anything because I fear that I will wind up with a computer that will not boot.

Attached Files:

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Mar 29, 2010
    It appears that Windows 7 stores boot files on SYSVista partition.

Please try the following:

1) Create Windows 7 repair CD
    follow this link and burn the appropriate Windows 7 Recovery Disk: http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/
    Boot to Windows 7 and do the following:
    * Click Start, All Programs, Maintenance, Create a System Repair Disc
    * Insert a CD/DVD into the drive and press Create disc

Then create WinPE Recovery CD of Hard Disk Manager:
    * Download separate self-burning WinPE image in *.exe file from My Account - My Downloads or by the link from Registration info email.
    * Run saved *.exe file and follow the wizard to burn WinPE Recovery CD.

// I would also recommend you to temporary backup partition D: via Backup Hard Disk or Partition wizard of Hard Disk manager.

2) Once completed, boot to Windows 7:

* run Hard Disk manager
    * delete D: and G: partitions (copy all required info to another place first)
    * press Apply to perform changes physically
    * once completed, right-click C: partition and select Mark Partition As Active option.
    * press Apply to make changes.

3) Then:
    * insert Windows Repair CD and restart your PC.
    * boot from Repair CD
    * Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    * Click Repair your computer.
    * Select the operating system you want to repair (Windows 7), and then click Next.
    * On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair.
    Once completed. restart your PC and boot to Windows.
  3. wrd

wrd Registered Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Mechanical Animal:
    Thanks very much for your post. I know that it took a while to type all that in and I appreciate it.
    I have been living with this situation for over a year now so my memory of what happened is now vague. I think that using Windows repair function is what got me in to this mess. Also, all of my Sys, Vista Sys + backup partitions are already active. See HDM scan.
    I know that you probably have Guru status but I would appreciate a second opinion or conformation by someone else before I start this procedure.
    I do not understand what happened that the recovery process is so complicated. I do not know what a ntldr is. Why will the HDM boot manager not fix this or do something with the mbr ? (this last statement will show my ignorance).
    Again thanks for your help

Attached Files:

4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Mar 29, 2010

I'm not a guru :)

HDM Boot Corrector is a tool which allows to fix common boot issues but (!) it doesn't have ntldr file copy.

Windows 7 repair CD contains copy of ntldr file which should be copied and adjusted for your configuration.

I have one more suggestion which could help to check if you can safely delete 2 Vista partitions:

* Create Win7 Repair CD
    * Physically disconnect Basic Hard Disk 1 and Basic hard Disk 2.
    * Boot from Repair CD and perform Startup Repair.
    * check if Windows 7 boots.

If it is, them :

* connect 2 other hard drives back
    * boot from HDM WinPE Recovery CD
    * Physically delete 2 Vista partitions
    * make all desired changes (e.g. resize data partitions on Hard Disk 1 and Hard disk 2 to cover all unallocated space left after Vista partitions)

Once completed, check BIOS settings : Hard Disk 0 should be the first Hard Disk in boot devices.

Boot Windows 7.

Note: Startup repair will not make things worse. If first part of my instructions doesn't work, simply connect all drives back.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.