Gmail accounts 'wide open to exploit'

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The Register

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi Ronjor!

Thanks for the info, till today I was testing Gmail but after reading the article I will stop using Gmail 'till the problems mentioned are fixed.

Ciao,

Smokey:oops:

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Same here Smokey. :)

4. steverio

steverio Registered Member

I really don't see why anyone would even use Gmail. Isn't there a privacy concern here and room for potential abuse with available information?

5. chew

chew Registered Member

I have stopped using Gmail a while back now.

Nothing spectacular about Gmail at all.

Plenty of other free email to choose from such as Yahoo, Hotmail ... etc.,

:)

6. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

The reason why people use it is because it has a reasonable amount of space compared to lots of other mail servers of its kind.

7. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Just a very little amount of space: 1,000 megabytes of storage...;)

Ciao,

Smokey

8. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Getting Started with Gmail

A new view of your inbox [size=-1]The old way
    When you read a message, you have to rely on your memory to recall what was said in previous emails about the same subject.

The Gmail way
    Each message you send is grouped with all the responses you receive.

Grouping related messages creates meaningful 'conversations.' When you open a message in a conversation, all of your messages will be stacked neatly on top of each other, like a deck of cards. We call this 'Conversation View.' As new replies arrive, your stack of cards grows. Grouping messages this way allows you to quickly retrieve related messages and view all your messages in context. [/size]

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/images/2-convo.gif
    A more flexible filing system [size=-1]The old way
    You create an elaborate filing system of folders and subfolders, then decide where to file a single message.

The Gmail way
    Instead of folders, Gmail uses labels to give you the functionality of folders, but with more flexibility. In Gmail, a single conversation can have several labels, so you're not forced to choose one particular folder for each message you receive. That way, if a conversation covers more than one topic, you can retrieve it with any of the labels that you've applied to it. And, of course, you can always search for it. [/size]http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/images/4-labels.gif
    Don't waste time deleting messages [size=-1]The old way
    You have to delete messages on a regular basis so that you don't run out of storage space.

The Gmail way
    With 1,000 megabytes of storage, the typical user can go for years without deleting a single message.

You never know when you might need a message again, but with traditional webmail services, you delete it and it's gone forever. With Gmail, you can easily archive your messages instead, so they'll still be accessible when you need them. If you decide you no longer want a message in your Inbox, just hit the 'Archive' button and the message will still be available in 'All Mail' or through a search. [/size]

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/images/gs_1000megs.gif
    An easy way to see all your messages at once [size=-1]The old way
    You only have a few options for managing messages: file them, delete them, print them, or leave them in your Inbox.

The Gmail way
    Gmail simplifies this process by placing your messages in 'All Mail' when you use the archive function.

'All Mail' is the holding place for all of the messages you've sent or received, but not deleted. When you delete a message, it's gone forever. With Gmail, you have enough storage space to last for years without deleting a single message. Just archive everything and all your messages will be searchable and easily accessible. [/size]

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/images/gs_all_mail.gif
    Search that actually works [size=-1]The old way
    You dig through your folders or search, but still can't find messages that you know are in your email.

The Gmail way
    You have a variety of search options that return speedy, accurate results.

Gmail features built-in Google search, and as with Google's keyword-based web search, Gmail returns fast, accurate results. As long as you archive instead of delete, you'll be able to find any message you've ever sent or received. Having reliable search also eliminates the need to create elaborate folder structures. Now you can just stick a label (or two or three) on a conversation and search by label, keyword, date range or a host of other options. [/size]

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/images/1-search.gif

A little impression of Gmail.

Ciao,

Smokey

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Wait a minute, I don 't get it, I forgot about my Gmail password, so I must answer my a secret question right? But if you also forgot the answer, they will send a password reset link to your secondary email address.

Here's the part I don't get: What if someone knows or guesses your secondary email address? Is it that easy to reset someone's account and hijack it? Or am I missing something? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.