Given up on KAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by StevieV, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieV

StevieV Registered Member

This is my first post at Wilders, I was hoping to get some wise advice from some of you here.

I purchased KAV Per Pro a while ago and love it - I feel it gives terrific protection from all the bad stuff out there. I have relegated it to backup and daily scan because of the impact the monitor has on slowing down my system.

I want to install a new antivirus just for the monitor funtion. I use the 'puter for email and surfing, the children use it for IM and P2P. I am on DSL and connected most of the day. I want to get the best protection I can while being light on resources.

The antiviruses I have licenses for or can get easily (and cheaply) are

Symantec Antivirus Corporate 8.0
    AVG Pro 7
    F-Prot for Windows
    NAV2003

Would be very greatful for any help

Thanks

2. minacross

minacross Registered Member

F-prot for Windows is so "light" on any system regarding the matter of memory/resources and it is also reliable :D
    Check site for AV tests (F-prot for Win is doing better than Nav ;) )

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/

3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello StevieV,

Here's my $.02 worth:

I have found both DrWeb & F-Prot for Windows to be very light on resources, especially CPU overhead. These are both very good AV products, and you won't see many folks in this forum bad-mouthing either of the quality AVs.

One note: DrWeb does us a lof of CPU and can be slow when scanning Archive (.zip) compressed files; I set DrWeb's SpIDer Guard settings to exclude these type files, and simply check them via the DrWeb scanner if/when required.

I run DrWeb as my primary AV, and I also use F-Prot & Command AV as my "backup" scanners. I have had no problems with these three products cohabitating on all four of my computer systems.

You will see a lot of different opinions in the Wilders forums; as for myself, I greatly respect Technodrome on any/all security-related products & issues.

Good luck,
    KDCDQ, Security Freak

"The truth is out there, but is is often difficult to find".

4. StevieV

Hi minacross and kdcdq

Wow, thanks for the rapid replies. I agree, Technodrome is someone whose opinion I greatly respect. I am currently using F-Prot 3.14a on Windows XP Pro. There doesnt seem to be anyway to configure the RTM to handle virus detections - Like automatically quarantine and delete. Am I missing something.

Thanks again

StevieV

5. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

drweb as resident scanner and kav for like weekly scans is a solution i often revert to when im sick of kav slowdowns. its a lovely combination in my opinion

6. MEGAFREAK

MEGAFREAK Registered Member

DrWeb is great, TDS is great, KAV/AVK is great!

7. sig

sig Registered Member

I've seen threads in the past on how to minimize KAV's impact on the PC, FWIW, since other people apparently have had the same issues as you. Not running the Control Center is one common recommendation. Here's just one thread out of several at DSLR on configuring KAV to reduce resource use and slowdowns: www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,4977354~root=security,1~mode=flat

I think there may be other threads here at Wilders as well if you search on KAV or Kaspersky. Since I haven't yet used it I don't really focus on KAV threads.

But others do use it on demand only, although if I thought KAV was the best all in one solution for trojans as viruses (as many do) I wouldn't relegate it to a secondary on demand only scanner. I'd want it monitoring in real time if I could configure it to do so without undue impact. Hope this helps. :)

URL Tags added to the link - paul

8. sig

sig Registered Member

Ok, oddly I can't get that link to post right. But the DSLR thread is linked to here: http://www.iggyz.com/files/Bookmarkz/antivirus.html it's the "Tonz of Kav Info and Screen Captures...." link.

IGGY's got some other KAV related links there also. (And the kitchen sink too, I think... ;) )

9. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I'd definitely go with F-Prot. It’s cheap, great and doesn’t bug you system at all. It has quite good heuristic and it will nicely supplement KAV.

If you considering other choices, DrWeb32 and NOD23 are worth looking at.

tECHNODROME

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

F-prot has faithfully protected my computer since May 2003. It's fast & supremely easy on resources -- my 233Mhz box runs just fine with F-prot's real-time monitor going all the time.

shaloha.......bellgamin

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I would try changing the default settings of the KAV Monitor first as suggested above. You may then find your computer running faster. Also check at the unofficial KAV forum for other tips;

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3f7525e95b91ffff

You could also try the previous version of KAV; AVP 3.5 which is still available from the Swiss Kaspersky site; http://www.avp.ch/

This uses the same database as the recent KAV and so gives similar protection BUT it is much lighter on memory and resources. I am using it on this lowly Pentium II, where it takes up hardly any memory(1568K VM) and there is no visible effect on the speed of this box.

However, if you wish to relegate KAV to a backup scanner, of the ones you list I would recommend F-Prot for Windows. I have used this for several years on several different computers with very few problems and with no conflicts with my hardware/software.

Recent thread on F-Prot here;

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=10006

12. StevieV

Hi All

Many thanks for all the links and advice. I have actually taken your advice and tried F-Prot and DrWeb and I have to say that I loved DrWeb so much I have now actually bought it. I have had a couple of false positives with it so far but nothing too much to worry about.

I have also invested in the latest version of Trojanhunter, so I feel as well protected now as I did with KAV monitor running but the system is much faster. I still double check the 'puter with KAV every night just to make sure.

Thanks once again for all your help, I knew I'd get some good advice here and I did

StevieV

PS Keep posting if you have any more advice, I still have a lot to learn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.