Given Belkin Wireless G Router,now what?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by tonyseeking, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

I was given a Belkin Wireless G Router, model: F-507230-4

What can I do with it now?

I am using 3 Wireless Broadband. Can I use the Belkin Wireless G Router as a firewall somehow?

Or whatever can I use it for? And how?

Thanks.

2. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Maybe install OpenWRT, Karma and Jasager on it. Then you can help "diagnose" any wifi connection whether it's yours or not.

3. tonyseeking

Would you mind saying that in English please? o_O

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Are you currently using a router? What make/model broadband modem do you have?

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

How about Old English?

Thou art thine own boss, choose thou! :D

It's a combination of tools that will turn an Access Point into a Yes Man (Jasager).

Go Here for Install Instructions
    Where it says "FON" (a small router that also acts as an access point) replace with your access point. (such as Belkin Router/AP)

Additional Info Here

What will it do.
    When your computer trys to connect to a network, say for internet, it sends out a packet "Are you my network?". Available routers and access points will respond with a packet "Yes" or "No". The converted access point with the new Jasager software will always respond with a packet "Why Yes, I am!" Alowing you to "diagnose" any network you have permission to access.

Hope this helps make a little more sense.

If you decide to try it out, then enjoy your new wifi "debugging" tool.

6. tonyseeking

1. Not currently using it because I wanted to learn what I could use it for as I don't have a clue.

2. It's a Belkin Wireless G Router, model: F-507230-4.

3. Someone just told me that the only use for this router is to share files, printer and broadband connection between 2 or more PC's. Is that right? Is that all I can use it for? I was hoping I could use it as an external hardware firewall. I am using Wireless broadband.

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The wireless router allows you to share an internet connection or a home network. You could use it as a firewall if you could plug your 3 usb wireless modem into it. However not many routers would support that kind of setup, you'd have to check if the router has any usb ports on it.

8. tonyseeking

Yeah thanks.

I have learned that it's only for sharing printer, files and broadband connection between PC's.

And so it's not possible to have my USB Wireless broadband key to communicate with the router first, and then through the router connect to the internet?

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you wanted to use the wireless router to access the internet you would need to plug some kind of adsl modem into it. The problem is your router only has an ethernet connection for this so the usb modem won't work. You could try an ethernet to usb adapter to hook your usb modem into the router however i don't know for certain if that would work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.