Ghost 10 and TI 9 do not play nice togethger

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Howard Kaikow, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I already had Ghost 10 installed. Yesrerday, I received the retail Acronis TI 9, but I did not install the version on the CD, instead, I downloaded and installed the latest version from the Acronis web site.

Next, using, TI, I ran a full backup of all 10 of the logical drives on the 3 hard drives.
    After the backup was completed, I asked TI to create plugins for 9 of the 10 drives.

At some point during the process, Norton Ghost popped up a reddish warning from the system tray. I will state this in a bit.

I then proceed to run the program at http://www.standards.com/index.html?GetFileTYpeDistribution on ALL the logical drives and plugins.

Near the end of running that program, I clicked back on te TI window and saw a message informing me that the plugins had been created successfully. When I clicked on OK, I got a BSOD.

When I rebooted, GHost asked if I wanted to view its log and that's where I got the more detailed message below.

I started TI, created all the plugins, then clicked OK.
    THis time no blue screen.

So I guess the blue screen was the result of GHost and/or the GetFileTypeDistribution programs being affected by whatever TI does in response to clicking OK in these circumstances.

Note, I wonder if a similar problem would have occurred if I had created the plugins using Ghost, would TI have had the same problem?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Howard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please do the following in order to enable mini-dumps.

- Open Computer properties either by right clicking on My Computer icon and choosing Properties or by opening System properties in Control Panel;
    - Go to Advanced tab;
    - Press Startup and Recover Settings button;
    - Choose Small memory dump in Write debugging information box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.

Then please reproduce the system crash and send us the mini-dumps created. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. Howard Kaikow

Requesting a user to try to recreate a crash is unacceptable, especially for this type of problem.

The crash was obviously caused by TI doing something in response to my using the OK button, while the http://www.standards.com/index.html?GetFileTypeDistribution program was working on one of the mounted drives.

The GetFileTypeDistribution program uses the GetVolumeInformation API before processing a volume. THen the program recursively uses the FindFirstfile and FindNextFile to process the volume.

The implication is that TI is changing something referenced by those API calls when I click OK in TI.

Seems to me, that as long as TI is running the mount points should persist.
    I've not yet tested to see what happens to mount points if I close tI.

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Don't let Ghost start when Windows starts i.e. don't let it run in the background. Same thing with Acronis. Manually start them when you want to use them and exit one before trying to use the other.

5. Howard Kaikow

You oar thinking along the lines I was, but I do not recall any option during the install to disable at startup for either product.

Is this documented for either product?

6. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

I don't know the details of any options during install - it's been too long. But here's how to disable any program that is showing in the Tray, from starting up.

Go to Start/Run and in the box type "msconfig" (without the quotes). Look down the list that shows and in the case of Ghost, uncheck anything to do with Symantec or Norton or Ghost.

Likewise for Acronis, uncheck anything to do with Acronis or True Image.

7. Howard Kaikow

Thanx.

I knew HOW to do that, but I won't do that without an optionin the programs or documentation that the deed should be done.

Eventually, I'll have just Ghost or TI, but there really should be a way to use any combination of backup programs.

when I reboot, and try a chkdsk, one of my USB drives has open handles. Makes no sense. But its gotta be due to either Ghost 10 or Acronis TI 9.

I suspect TI because TI has been used to back up to only that drive, and Ghost has been backed up to both USB drives, but then it could just be Ghost choosing the most recently used or favorite or ...!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.