getting windows update to work with lns

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by spamyou, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spamyou

spamyou Registered Member

Currently using enhanced rules, least till I understand whats there.

When I uncheck application filtering, windows update (manual) works. When I leave it checked it stops working.

I deleted every entry in application filtering, but left it checked, went to windows update, I got 2 popups, I authorized both (explorer/svchost), yet manual updates dont work, instead get this same error

[Error number: 0x80072EFD]
    The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem

Works fine as soon as I uncheck application filtering. So its blocking something, but I cant get to it.

I found this via search
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=101792&highlight=windows update

defenestration tracked problem to blocked winhttp.dll. I cant find file and add as allow, since not exe, wont let me see it via lns add. Since I only have two entries that I see, both are allowed, are there other entries somewhere? I dont see where dll's are allowed or blocked (assuming thats the problem), am I not seeing a setting somewhere?o_O

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

After you deleted every entry in application filtering and tried the update, allowed the popups, did you check your application filtering again to see if it is blocked there?
    I ask because I have noticed that even when I allow a newly installed application contact the net I see in application filtering that it is not allowed. If I change the red icon in application filtering to green everything is okay, I can connect.
    I dont know if it is a bug or if I do something wrong. When the popup comes I tell it to allow always, not only for this session or once. I havent studied it completely so I cant say if it always happens or if it is just some applications.

3. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi spamyou :)

1) First some hints from Microsoft:

You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

2) the following programs must be allowed ( with no restriction) for Windows Update in the LnS application filtering:

- Windows explorer
    - generic host process for Windows (svchost.exe)
    - applications services and controller (services.exe)
    - etc.

Check the screen capture here ...

3) For the moment and for debugging only, disable the DLL detection:
    options | advanced ioptions | dll | uncheck the option...

4) Windows Update use two rules:

a) The DNS rule to get the IP addresses required by svchost to access MS servers...

Make sure DNS is working on your PC:

In the Windows connection wizard check the option to obtains DNS automatically...

In the Hosts file check if there no hijack there...
    More info here: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002

b) The general rule "Allow common Internet Appl." to perform the update itself...

If a program is authorised in the application filtering and used TCP , like win update, this rule is in used...

To be sure there is no blocking add am exclamation mark for each Windows program in the appl. filtering to have an entry in the log if the program is blocked...

c) go to the services:
    start | run | services.msc

the Automatic updates and Background Intelligent Transfer Service must be started and in automatic...

After all there verifications check the updates that way:

Start | run | %windir%\system32\wuauclt.exe /detectnow

Hope this help. Lest us know.

:)

Attached Files:

4. spamyou

spamyou Registered Member

thanks for the replies, not sure how I screwed something up, but got it fixed now.

two allowed were green. nothing blocked.

Obviously not too many people with this problem, or more would show up on searching, so I figured I must have screwed up/corrupted something in all my learning/tinkering or hit something wrong.

But I uninstalled, deleted everything, rebooted, downloaded fresh copy, and now it works fine. Doesnt really make sense unless I corrupted something, who knows.

But love this firewall, as much as nod32 for AV, very customizable, and only one I have found so far to not decrease system responsiveness in any way. And if forces me to learn a few things, all the better.

5. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi Spamyou :)

I'm happy to know it's working well now.

Have a nice week end.

:)

6. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi spamyou,

You hadn't corrupted anything, it was simple mistake of denying rights to something important, you 'may' find several system related files needing to be authorised for different Windows functionalities.

You were right to troubleshoot by disabling Application Filtering, should be the first thing you disable to troubleshoot an connection problem. If something is denied in Application filtering, this step will help you determine this. ;)

Regards,
    Phant0m``

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.