GeSWall & LUA+SRP+KAFU - is it a point?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ICuba, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICuba

ICuba Registered Member

I would use LUA+SRP+KAFU together with GeSWall. My question - is it a point? Do LUA+SRP+KAFU give me a similar level of protection as if i use it
    togeter with GW? Maybe those apps duplicate each other, beacuase LUA+SRP+KAFU impose restrictions similar as GW but i'm not sure, isn't it? What do you think about that setup? I also use Avira on-demand.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Yes there is:

SRP forbids programs outsid of system area.

GesWall takes care of internet facing apps from system area + supplies cover to SRP in the unlikely event it would be circumvented

These are two policy tools acting differently.

LUA+SRP+GW
    LUA+SRP+DW
    The two strongest popup-free setups?

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Perhaps also
    LUA+SRP+AppGuard?

Sul.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If I use a Standard Account on Vista Home with Chrome/Iron as my browser is DefenseWall or GesWall or AppGuard still recommended?

5. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Well, are you comparing a browser with a security application?

Policy management complements very well any kind of browser, and it handles as well mailboxes, P2P, chat,...

6. ICuba

ICuba Registered Member

Hey Lucy,

Question about LUA:
    Should i run apps situated in Program Files as administrator (surun) or add new path rules which i choose the unrestriction option? What i should to do?

---------------------------
    Sorry for my bad English ;)

7. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Certainly not.

Under LUA, programs in Program Files are supposed to work as is (you need admin privileges to install them btw).

I don't understand about "unrestriction". This seems to belong to SRP, and this is a different matter. In SRP, you absolutely need to put Program Files and Windows folders a unrestricted. Otherwise you won't be able to use your LUA anymore.
    You will eventualy have to add a new path, folder or file to the unrestricted list if you need to run a program installed outside of Program Files.

8. ICuba

ICuba Registered Member

Because i set disallow in the Security Levels i can't run apps. I can only add a new path, folder or file and set as unresticted if i want run something, but you wrote not inside Program Files. For example i've IE in that folder so should i change IE's location ?

9. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Program Files has to run unrestricted.

So IE can run. If you don't want it to run, of course disallow it in putting it as disallowed.

10. ICuba

ICuba Registered Member

OK, thank you for an explanation.

Regards

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

There is a registry tweak to get a third option run restrcted (sorry I forgot how it is done)

Cheers Kees

12. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Already the case by default in LUA...

13. ICuba

ICuba Registered Member

Here you are,

additional levels: Basic user, Constrained, Untrusted

14. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

If you apply LUA it is already the case. I don't think it brings anything more.
    It is useful only under admin account and if you wish to run it at LU level.

Somebody knowledgeable to confirm?

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Code:
    SAFER_LEVELID_CONSTRAINED
    0x10000

Software cannot access certain resources, such as cryptographic keys and credentials, regardless of the user rights of the user.

SAFER_LEVELID_DISALLOWED
    0x00000

Software will not run, regardless of the user rights of the user.

SAFER_LEVELID_FULLYTRUSTED
    0x40000

Software user rights are determined by the user rights of the user.

SAFER_LEVELID_NORMALUSER
    0x20000

Allows programs to execute as a user that does not have Administrator or Power User user rights. Software can access resources accessible by normal users.

SAFER_LEVELID_UNTRUSTED
    0x01000

Allows programs to execute with access only to resources granted to open well-known groups, blocking access to Administrator and Power User privileges and personally granted rights.
    Sul.

16. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

YES!

I learned something today. And guess what? I am going to apply it right now!

Actually this opens a brand new area of security where one can really grants different access levels to applications.

Just one question: How to set it up in the SRP keys?

17. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Setting the Levels key to 0x00030000 adds part of it. I am out of time, but will dig out the value so you get all the options. I have it somewhere.

Sul.

18. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Ok I got it

19. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

I am disapointed by these hidden settings as most internet facing applications have no chance to even run under untrusted or constrained level. I guess you can use it when under admin.

20. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes, they must have uses, but when I looked into them I really did not see the need. It is interesting that on msdn there are some references to SRP creating a 'sandbox' effect.

Sul.

21. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I use on XP Pro only full access, no execute allowed and normal (basic) user.

Problable reason I forgot how to set others up, thanks Sully for posting

22. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If you make the SAFER\CodeIdentifiers\Levels = hex 0x00031000 then start secpol or gpedit, you will see all levels you can use listed.

Note that constrained = Restricted in the snap-in list.

Now for some notes about constrained
    # HKCU is read-only
    # %USERPROFILE% is inaccessible
    # Some crypto operations including SSL negotiation do not work

This lends itself to running IE in constrained mode with more lockdown than a user mode. Imagine that even HKCU and user profile are read only. Maybe not a feature rich browser, but certainly not much can happen lol.

The untrusted level is even below that, whatever that might be. Maybe like a guest account? Or maybe constrained is more like a guest account. Either way, not much runs in untrusted.

Having read further into the PoC exploit with SRP, I have no feelings at all that it will ever be an issue on my machine. Folks who have perhaps a default install and do things according to how MS would have it setup, perhaps they might stand a remote chance some day. For me and my setup, SRP will easily and safely reduce the possible threat vectors with flying colors. And should it ever actually happen, I will have to imagine that no matter what I have on my system it will not stop it. There is just too much I have changed from normal to tweaked for it to be otherwise.

Sul.

23. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Yes, should Chrome fail, you would benefit from one of these applications countering a drive-by download attack that drops an executable into user-space that might steal information, launch a code injection attack, or possibly attempt a privilege escalation attack. Also, if Chrome should fail, they would protect the Run and RunOnce HKCU keys, preventing a persistent presence.

Cheers,

Eirik

24. runoades

runoades Guest

Um..What is KAFU? :oops:

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.