Geswall Free Configuration

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Reimer, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Runnig WinXP Pro SP3 with LUA+SRP (except DLLs) + SuRun. I also run Sandboxie paid for my browsers.

However, I just decided to give Geswall Free a try, thinking maybe it could help with things I take out of the sandbox via sandboxie.

So I added my Downloads folder to the Resouce panel in Geswall and set it as a Threat Gate.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2aihafa.jpg

However, I get this message everytime I try to run something from the Downloads folder now. Documents still open just fine. This message pops up though.

http://i27.tinypic.com/30dey60.jpg

Any other configuration tips to take? Or is this just overkill since I'm already running LUA+SRP+SuRun+Sandboxie? And yes, I realize you can sandbox the downloads folder as well.

Thanks

2. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Are you right-clicking the file you want to execute and selecting "run as administrator"? The software restriction policy is to make files outside of Windows and Program Files not be able to execute. If you are selecting run as administrator and still getting this error message, did you exclude administrators when you set up your SRP?

I would say it's overkill. To be honest, I wouldn't bother with the sandbox thing either. The whole idea behind LUA+SRP is that you can't write where you can execute and you can't execute where you can write, so I don't really see the need for these additional apps. I keep an on-demand AV to check files I download, but that's it.

You might also want to use kafu.exe, which will prevent autoruns from being installed in your user profile. It's just a tool that you run once and it makes the proper registry entries.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Seems something wrong with SRP( most probably) or may be some conflict. Can u try after removing SRP?

This is what I get with same configuration. I executed hasher.exe from downloads folder and it was isolated.

Attached Files:

• g.jpg
      g.jpg
      File size:
      137.2 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.