German Federal Office of Information Security recommends Chrome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2012/02/german-federal-office-of-information.html

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Do the SRWare blokes know about this? :D Although, according to this the Germans seem to prefer Firefox & this was the same a couple of years ago. Still, these are only statistics ... & you know what I think of those.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. Hungry Man

lol well... 2009 was probably less than a year after Chrome was release.

4. Daveski17

Yeah, it's all I could find. ;)

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

My virtually non-existent knowledge of German is quite rusty but I don't see any other browser mentioned. Not even the famous knock-off that was alleged (somewhere in this forum) to be oh so popular in Germany.

6. Hungry Man

That's right.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Well that's not so surprising. Do they mention other OS?

8. Daveski17

*Yawn* ;)

I like German lager beer, it's very popular in Germany & sometimes even in England. Some German unpasteurised beers have even received awards from CAMRA, a rarity indeed outside of Great Britain. It's been a while since I have visited Munich & although I know a bit about German boozing trends, I must admit am not really an expert on German browsing trends. For a long time Firefox was the most popular browser in Germany, for all I know it is now Chrome. I have no statistics on usage figures of SRWare Iron (the knock-off browser) in Germany, nor have I ever stated that it was particularly popular there. Most of the Germans I talk to online still appear to use K-Meleon.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The marketing of Chrome borders around being viral, even stealth marketing. I'm not sure how I managed to avoid Chrome, but after using Opera for around a year and a half, I've found myself completely unable to switch to any other browser despite the touted improvements of hardware acceleration, standards compliance, etc. :doubt:

The ordinary user, in fact, gets a perfectly capable browser in IE9 and even IE8 was not too shabby, so I'm not sure what exactly drives a person towards trying another browser.

10. Daveski17

I keep giving Opera a spin every time it gets a major upgrade. I've always liked it, unfortunately, it always seems to let me down.

IE 9 works well on my 64 bit Win 7 machine, but I can't run it on my Vista notebook & IE 8 is painfully slow & not much better than IE 7 for me. Firefox was a revelation when I first downloaded it & enabled me to surf quickly & with some customisation. Unfortunately the 3-3.6 series didn't work well for me so I tried other browsers. Why not? You'll never know unless you try one of them. To be fair to Chrome, regardless of my reservations about many of Google's privacy policies, it is more stable than SRWare Iron, it is secure as a browser to the degree of probably being the safest 'out of the box' & has quite a few other attributes (especially now Google have denuded it of its spyware). I still prefer Firefox, but there is no harm in having a good back-up browser. And IE 8 just doesn't cut the mustard.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  11. Hungry Man

Very true. I think the greatest difference between Chrome and IE from an "average" user's perspective is extensions. And yet I don't think most users even have more than a single extension (if even) installed.

I doubt most users take security into consideration. The "average" user probably just hears their nerdy friends talk about it so that's what they use.

12. guest

guest Guest

I know many "average users"..
    • Pretty much all of them (and absolutely all of the ones that don't install anything by themselves) use IE;
    • Almost (if not all) of those who use Chrome use it because their IE experience was completely destroyed by tons of toolbars (Google, Ask, Yahoo, Babylon, together with a few others - usually). A little investigation always show that these toolbars came bundled with other installed popular sharewares/freewares. Now one may ask, how they started using Chrome? After experimenting with, on their words, "the colored new icon on the screen" and seeing that it, on their words, "works like my internet but better". Note that this Chrome, like the toolbars, happened to be installed because it also (oh the irony!) came bundled with other installed popular sharewares/freewares.
    • In other cases, I saw a Firefox installed (usually by some friend or under friendly advise) but it rarely (if ever) gets opened.

Yeah, for the seek of curiosity, I sometimes investigate and question the browser preferences of average users that I personally know. Many don't even know what a browser is, lol. And no, I don't help them with anything, I just ask -when opportunity arises- and move on.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
  13. Daveski17

Brilliantly put. This is so true! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.