geoclue

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Amanda, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Do you consider Geoclue to be a threat on privacy?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Anything "geo" is a threat to privacy ;)

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Yeah, I'm reading on it. The more I read, the more I think Linux is becoming windowsy.

I'm too paranoid. I'll zero-fill my drive and start all over, this time without sddm or musescore.

I can't even install Midori/Epiphany or even MATE without geoclue!

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

From Wikipedia:
    Me, I want nothing to do with " location-aware applications". Anything that makes them not work is a good thing.

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I already removed a few MATE things, installed XFCE and will leave only the mate-icon-theme-faenza, caja, and some others.

6. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Geo is certainly one of the terms that should be paid attention to if you're concerned about privacy. Sync is another. Windows, Firefox, Opera, are all pushing accounts and syncing settings these days. Real smart to store your personal profile on a 3rd party server. Makes it very easy to fingerprint you. Combine that with geolocation and you can be pretty thoroughly tracked both physically and intellectually/culturally.

I don't know that it is Windows influence as much as IOS and Android smartphone culture that is influencing Linux in this direction. Windows is just following the trend as much as Linux. I rarely see anyone these days without a smartphone so there is plenty of opportunity to harvest this data.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.