Genie Backup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Hugger, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TDAnthony

TDAnthony Registered Member

Sources? I lost your drift. I am the source for those products I reviewed. The maker's web sites are the source for any info I cited as such. I've been designing software for 30+ years so bottom line (aka my "Naked Onion") reviews come naturally to me. So, I know a tad about what goes into these products, what support libraries are typically available to work with, and what makes for a good GUI. I also try to only criticize those things I feel I could do better if I had the time and health. Unfortunately, that is a lot of territory <chuckle>
    OTOH, if you are are referring to the the source data I need to back up then it is a combination of local folders on my machine and various odd folders on the home PC and the laptops of my wife and daughter, all connected to our home network. Fairly typical of a modern home.
    Not at all! By "net folders", I simply meant access to folders on the other machines on our home network. You see, I have a large USB backup drive attached to my PC from which I back up all our extensive documents, financials, videos, email, family photos, ad nauseum. See image map at: http://multipath.biz/ihost/Wilder%20Forums/20080305%20TDA%20Home%20Network.gif

I also need to back up the family PC as well as wife's work laptop and daughter's school laptop when she drops in. It's not practical to move a USB drive between machines constantly several times a day. That completely breaks the automation and is obviously impractical. Thus, back ups wouldn't ever be done properly.

So, I guess I have to resond with: "How can net folders *not* be important?" I think it's fair to say that most (certainly not all) homes today have more than one PC and a home network of some sort.

That's good to know. As per my previous posting, Titan looks suspiciously VERY much like Genie Bakup Pro 8. I just hope it works better. In any event, it's too late for the freebie download. It had too many strings for my taste. I prefer (though I seldom find) products that are solid, well proven, are fully paid for, have a real company behind them, and have real support and regualr upgrades. After all, we're talking about backing up the family treasures! Like 20 years of memories, sweat, work, and financials!

Hope that explains things better.

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

TDAnthony ,

Didnt realise you were the reviewer-congratulations,quite comprehensive-thought it must have been from a full time pro., like from PC World :thumb:
    Havent had time to properly read every word,but certainly will.

3. TDAnthony

TDAnthony Registered Member

You made my week. Thanks. I like to write. I've done my share of articles and interviews and won my share of awards. I just don't have the time I used to.

Moving Along:
    I just looked at the author sites for info re Karen's Replicator and Backup4All. It seems Karen's is just too simplistic - but it has source code! If I had the energy I used to, I'd rewrite it to my liking. But, alas, time is too short these days. Back4All, also mentioned here, looks quite good in its Pro edition at first glance. Ah, but so many do, at first! Pehaps I'll test that next.

The Girl Next Door:
    It's funny. I installed Second Copy as a temporary back up solution a week ago while I proceeded to test "bigger and better" products like Genie. All the while, SC has been working flawlessly within the limits of its decent (not huge) feature set. Meanwhile, as each of the "bigger and better" ones I test fails some important aspect, SC keeps chugging along maintaining about 500k files (500 GB) of data backups for our 3-4 machines here. This includes about 10,000 music files, 300k images, and 100k of documents. It's not super fast but it it's not a low poke either. It's WAY faster than Restrospect or TrueImage but, of course, lacks their features, more advanced cataloging, and higher compression levels.

I think we need to move this thread to a more generic one since we have moved past Genie to discuss all back up products, focusing on those under $100 (or free). I checked for existing threads but didn't find any so I created a new one entitled, "Backup and DR Software Reviews". The following hyperlink will beam you there:

Hopefully it won't die on the vine :cautious:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Better to respect the OP and start a new thread. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.