Genealogy sites.

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by the Tester, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'm doing research on my family roots.

I have found some decent free sites.
    But I'm sure that I'm missing some.

Has anyone else done this type of research and found an awesome site?
    I'm looking for a site that can access birth/marriage/death records in the USA without charging an arm and a leg.

2. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hi Tester,

Try www.CyndisList.com for over 82,000 links to online genealogy resources.

Regards,
    Douglas

3. the Tester

Thanks Douglas.

That's a site that I haven't tried.
    It looks good.
    I'll bookmark it and check it out.

4. CalamityJane

CalamityJane Registered Member

These are some of my favs

http://www.usgenweb.org/
    http://www.rootsweb.com/
    http://www.familysearch.org

(Paid sites, but do offer some free records too)
    http://www.ancestry.com/
    http://www.genealogy.com

I'm a volunteer at the USGenweb, Rootsweb and a subscriber at Ancestry.com, so if I can help you find anything, please feel free to let me know :)

5. the Tester

Thanks Calamity Jane.

I have had some success with ancestry.com and familysearch.org.

I have one cold trail that leads to a particular county in my home state.
    If the message board at ancestry.com doesn't yield some info I'm stuck.

This genealogy search is addictive! ;)

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey Janie,

Make sure you'll get at the 50 postings; then we can give you well deserved karma cookie's :) !!!

7. CalamityJane

Ah! The proverbial *Brick Wall*. I have many genealogical resources in my personal library, including the US Census records for all States 1790-1930. I also volunteer lookups in my resources at various sites (too many to mention here)

You could IM me the info on your cold trail and I would be happy to see if I can help or point you to some resources to get the info available out there (some of it is snail mail research....but can be extremely invaluable to know where to look to find it)

And yes, it is very addictive :D I have over 8,000 individual records in my family tree at this point :eek:

Current addiction, however, is PC security for all my fellow Genealogy hobbists who are not so familiar with computing....unfortunately WAY too many of them :(

8. CalamityJane

Howdy! Fan J http://members.aol.com/calamitygraphics/GreenWavey.gif Getting there! *sigh* so many forums....so little time :doubt:

9. the Tester

Thanks Calamity Jane.

I sent you an IM.

At this point I'll gladly listen to any advice or guidance.
    Snail mail huh?
    That's cool.
    I'm willing to take the time necessary to get the missing info on my genealogy.

I'm relatively new to this genealogy search and I'm learning as I go. :)

Your current addiction is a worthy endeavor!
    Security is something people in my area usually don't concern themselves with, until they have problems!

10. CalamityJane

Tester,

I'm on it like gravy on rice. Will be back atcha after a couple of days digging (check your IMs) ;)

11. the Tester

Calamity Jane.

Thank you very much for the IM's!

You definitely know your way around genealogy!!!!!

Looks like I have some researching to pursue ;)

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

For Pennsylvania roots, this might help:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A37213C74

I work at the State Library of Pennsylvania and I worked in the Genealogy dept for four years before budget cuts sent me somewhere else. Good luck, Acadia.

13. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

If you have a very uncommon surname, why not try Google at first.

Second thing is that, does you surname actually mean somenthing? If you don't know, the best thing is to try www.yourdictionary.com, to declare what your surname really means.

I, for instance, have a very uncommon surname in the world. I think there are less than 400 people alive in the world with the same surname just now, and I have recognized some 150 people just now.

Almost 300 years everybody who really where professionals in genealogy thought that it was from Danish origin, but no one didn't know what was the real meaning of that surname.

It was very frustrating when all asked to me what does your surname actually means.

Less than one week ago I used the search engine www.yourdictictionary.com, and the rest is history.

I couldn't even sleep in two nights after that.

My roots were totally elsewhere, what all publications said in the whole Scandinavia.

It is something, what is bigger than the whole life!

I have studied heraldry, who lived in which manor or estate over 400 years ago, but the result was nothing.

One thing was very flattering. I detected that those people who are working now in the State Service or before that the Service to the Crown of Sweden, I have the second longest career in Finland in that kind of comparison, when your forefathers careers are within. Only one thing irritates a bit, that my 5 years older brother has 3 months longer history in that kind of comparison! :mad:

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

14. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Good work Firefighter,

I make it better; There are only 4 of us on my surname in whole world....but my origin family name is from elsewhere; Netherlands ;) , I found it all over the world, mostly in Netherlands and the States. I am so fascinated about genealogy :D

Ari

15. Firefighter

To Krusty from Firefighter!

I'm glad to you too. I have done some 7 years that my roots searghing, but when you are so close to the absolute final, you can't almost even breathe, and you love it!

Almost 800 years everybody thought that there is a strange surname, but after that it becames a fake, what a wonderfull joke! :D

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

16. CalamityJane

Surnames are one thing...but did you try searching for all the variant spellings? :eek:

Mistakes are made in records and families change the spellings over the decades...not to mention the spelling errors clerks made in transcribing the records.

Smiles to those also researching their roots :) It is an addiction, as Tester Stated.

17. FanJ

FanJ Guest

You've got your first karma + cookie, Jane :)

18. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

May I correct you FanJ, second cookie :D

19. FanJ

FanJ Guest

:D

20. CalamityJane

Thanks guys, big {{hugs}} Not a security guru.... just a genealogy nut without a scorecard...trying to keep her buddies safe, and I take all tips from here you can give me :)

21. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

hummm....now i wonder who gave the 3rd cookie...i got the 4th! ~wink~

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

When I worked in the Genealogy Dept of the PA State Library I worked with a women who was distantly related to President Eisenhower. She said tracing the Eisenhower branch was a real nightmare because there was over 50 ways of spelling that name, Eisenhauer, Isenhower, Isenhauer, etc, etc. Of course, if any line of your family is like mine, Swedish, the surname changes every generation, Carlson, son of Carl, Nelson, son of Nel, etc etc. Take care, Acadia.

23. Firefighter

To Calamity Jane from Firefighter!

I don't think that in my case the different spelling is very big problem. There is only two vocals in my surname and only two variants to write that surname. It is so old surname in Scandinavia, that it has been in the Swedish Crown records all the time. :rolleyes:

No one of us were willing to replace that surname to some other different format, because it is one of the oldest in both Sweden and Finland too. Only after that, when the Russian Empire occupied the whole Finland 1809-1917, there were some people, whose later destiny is more or less unknown, if they went to Russia. There are even none who were immigrated to the North America, when I'm talking about the one variant of my surname, that I has, we are real "patriots". :D

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

24. CalamityJane

Wow! You are lucky Firefighter. Here we have to deal with the spelling variations (in the USA) :(

Many of the record keepers here did misspell the name and many variants must be searched. But genealogy is fun....like a great big puzzle with a lot of pieces that must be fit together.

It is like my German ancestors *Alt* who came here in 1730 and they were known by that name here...then, by about 1900 they decided to call it *Ault* so I had a hard time finding them all

Best Regards back to you :)

CalamityJane

25. the Tester

Those German ancestors!

My parents have baptism records of my paternal grandfather and great grandfather.
    That's the first time that I saw a person had 4 names.
    First,middle,baptism,and last name.
    Some of these ancestors just dumped their first name and used a middle name.
    So I get an Albert Heinrich that = Henry!

They were a lot different than us modernised Americans of my generation. ;)

There's nothing like a little bit of mystery and intrigue in genealogy research! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.