Gdata AVK vs. eXtendia AVK some info

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dan_maran, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoso

hoso Registered Member

Hi,
    I am using eXtendia avk,and i am suprised with no program updates,when i saw
    this posts G Data is offering program updates,extendia only virus database update...anyway updates are very often,but i turned resident scanner off because my machine was like 133...so i am using only ondemand scanner and combine with avast for resident scanner....but again no program updates....

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Things I am currently awaiting for these "tests"

1. A reply from each company to emails I sent on Thursday(GData) and Friday(eXtendia)

2. Virus definition updates from GData. I received an update this morning with both versions but so far eXtendia has given a newer version,
    GData KAV 15.0.1481 - BD 15.0.151
    eXtendia KAV 15.0.1491 - RAV 12.0.390(hasn't updated in a while, known issue)

3. Also waiting to hear back from eXtendia to see if they are going to offer upgrades.

The software updates I believe weren't available in GData's AVK 11, so they will not be available for eXtendia due to the fact that is the version they purchased from them. The best we can hope for is that eXtendia will purchase a newer version from GData and allow an upgrade to licensed users for a small price.

3. dan_maran

I recieved a reply back from GData today on the upgrade to AVK 2005 question:
    Myself:
    GData
    Sounds like a good deal to me.

4. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I recieved a reply back from GData today on the upgrade to AVK 2005 question:

I hate to seem cynic but I had e-mailed eXtendia 4 times in the last two months about future updates, and still no reply.

It will be interesting to see if you get a reply from eXtendia.

5. dan_maran

I heard from sales that they will offer an upgrade IF they buy a newer version or fix the current one. But we will see. This is a quote from Tech Support:

6. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Thanks likuidkewl for passing that along, I cannot seem to get much response from these folks.
    I have not had any problems with AVK Pro or AVK single engine (kids comp), but I have ask a few simple questions and response has been sporadic or nothing.
    No complaint other than support, both Extendia versions have workd well for me.

Regards

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I have no concerns that sp2 doesnt recognise extendia in its security centre. Thats the least of my concerns. As mentioned in another thread , There is no real diffirence in detection of any of the KAV versions . ( Im sure firefighters tests would confirm this also) .

Have any of you had any issues with performance. I dont , nor have I tweeked any of the monitor settings etc . But some do . I would be interested to see if you were fine with default settings also. thanks

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  8. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I have/had no issues with performance. I have tweaked the monitor settings on AVK Pro to not scan programs folder. This does speed up apps opening on my 2GHz AMD box, I do however have a daily scheduled scan of this folder set up.

Other than tech support I have no problem with eXtendia AV's, but again I have not really needed help, just some answers to questions about about updates etc.

9. solarpowered candle

thanks honyak,

10. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I got that same response from GData today as well.
    :D

11. dan_maran

As for the daily updates concerning both vendors, today I did recieve an update for:

eXtendia KAV - 15.0.1520
    GData - 15.0.1507

eXtendia seems to release the KAV updates more quickly, but I believe that is what I read in the email from GData, that the only update 2x a day. But I will have to look and then re-edit this post.

Also I did not post the other engine updates because they are different as you all know.

12. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Not to start any kind of comparisons or anything, I just had to share this.........The GData version of KAV and BD is a mega load nicer on my pc than KAV and RAV from eXtendia that I had at first. I am beginning to think that GData makes AVK with Hyper Thread support because this baby is so dang fast I can hardly tell I have an AV installed....not to mention a DUAL ENGINE AV! :D

13. dan_maran

14. dan_maran

Just FYI to everyone who uses GDATA AVK 2004 there is an update for the program files. I think it fixes some issues with the new SP2 updates.
    The new version number is 14.1.2

-Likuidkewl

And still no reply from eXtendia on any emails I have sent since last friday!

15. dan_maran

Well this morning I received a reply from eXtendia "Tech Support":

Original email:
    They asked me to run TaskInfo2003 and email them the results, so I did.
    Now for the response(s):
    eXtendias solution:
    Anyone else confused? I want to know why it gave me a BSOD, not how to stop the reboot process!
    Argh! (Minus)

16. solarpowered candle

you got to smile. apart from that , I checked to see if I had a check in automatically reboot and I dont ( thank god lol ) .You might want to check and see if you do have and ask "why have you a check in automatic restart " . If it fixes the problem well and good .

17. dan_maran

Still no reply from eXtendia on the issues stated before, also no answer on the RAV updates. The TechSupport is pretty much lacking as of late. I am almost positive I am going to go with GData from now on. Expensive but hey what can you do.

18. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

Just thought I would give an update on Extendia AVK single Scan engine which I put on my Father's Computer today.

1) Had very speedy response from Garry in Tech support regarding a couple of questions.

2) Installed well on a XP pentium 4 machine. He runs Poco mail so needed to manually configure mail scanning but this was not a problem and followed the instructions on the PDF which came with the program.

3) Registration went very smoothly with acivation numbers arriving straight after payment.

4) First download quite big (Aprox 4mb) but this would be the cumilitive update for the KAV engine. Hopefully will be small updates (Daily AVC) from now on.

5) E mail scanning great. Checked with Eicar test virus and a couple of live virus samples.

6) On access scanner good. Only negative is it does slow down opening of some applictions (Nero Burner) Comes up instantly if you turn of on access scanner so not the lightest scanner but acceptable.

The only gripe is the 'Flash alert' on the website is very out of date (Shows Bagle worms) but no mention of Zafi D file or anything after August 2004! I know he will be well protected with the KAV engine and updates but this would put a lot of people of. (Would think if the webs not updated then how good is the scanner!)

For $10 its a bargain although I know it does not have the extended data base that KAV has and am sure the KAV5 has a later engine and is probally lighter on resources.

Will report back on how he gets on with it.

Kind Regards

Jlo

19. dan_maran

Nice update, I still have not heard from anyone in about 5 days. I too tried out the Single KAV engines version and found it to have the same usage and the resident scanner needs to be fixed. I am tired of waiting 5-10 seconds for IE to load, the only work-around I have found is to make exceptions and that list gets long. Or you can just exclude the whole Windows dir, LOL!
    So I am giving up on eXtendia, and if anyone cares I have 2 keys to get rid of I bought 3, I have 1 Dual engine and 1 single engine key, and yes I will send you the installs, since they only left them up for me for one day, "Because I have a highspeed connection".

Don't get me wrong the single and dual engine scanners from eXtendia are GREAT, but I don't have the power needed for them.

20. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Why not keep the single engine as a b/u or on demand scanner for $9.95. I use MKS/ArcaVir and do scheduled system scans with the eXtendia KAV. It works well for me. But if you have GDATA AVK, or othe KAV AV, the point is moot.

21. dan_maran

My thinking exactly no sense in having both, So yeah I want to get rid of them. I tend to favor GData, but as you said the extendia is good as well just a matter of personal prefference now.

22. jlo

jlo Registered Member

likuidkewl

out of interest when you were using the single engine version do you get a pop up when its auto updating?

I only installed it on my Dads last night and did the full defs download and left and he probally has not dialed in yet.

My e scan has a little pop up that comes up to saying the virus data base has been updated.

Cheers

Jlo

23. solarpowered candle

jlo I have mine set to auto update hourly and I never get a pop up. You can check when the last scan was by > status > auto update > last start will say when the last auto update occured.

24. jlo

jlo Registered Member

THanks SolarPowered Candle,

Did you need to change the setting for how often it updates?

I am at my house now so not infront of his computer?

If so how do you change the frequency.

Thank for all your help :)

Kind Regards

Jlo

25. Unity

Unity Registered Member

Look at the settings in the scheduled auto update , you can start it in the backgroud or in the foreground.
    By default i think it's set in background.

You can also change the update frequency there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.