Future Changes to Nod32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Blackspear, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelyDon

SteelyDon Registered Member

I agree with some previous posters:

Do NOT include spam or firewall software. Anyone savvy enough to use NOD already has that covered. OK, get some worms etc. in the database, but not spam or firewall. Leave NOD as a standalone AV app, with a database which covers worms and trojans.

And yes, rename those components IMON, EMON, YOUMON, MEEMON......
    ye gads, how diablolical.

NOD as it is, is sweet. NOD as a suite, would not be.

2. SteelyDon

Firewall?

Why, Sygate, of course.

3. SteelyDon

OK, here's how you improve the product, but I want a free subscription for this.

NOD should come with 2 default profiles: 1) Running profile: the current default profile, for general use when surfing. 2) Manual scan profile: everything ratcheted down tighter than a flea's bippy, with all the settings which Blackspear has demonstrated in the 4 gigabyte instruction thread.
    You switch back, A to B, as required. You do the manual scan when you are suspicious or say, once a week, or whenever.

NOD no doubt wants to get more market share, by creating a suite for the unwashed masses.
    First, you'll have to make NOD more accessible for the masses. As it is, you need a PhD in digital science just to run NOD, if you listen to the public discourse. Really, it's NOT user friendly, and the unwashed would run screaming from it.

The trouble with a suite is that the odds of getting spamware and spyware and firewall software, all to be as good as NOD, are NOT good. So, you end up with the best AV, the 4th best spamware, the 8th best firewall, etc.. Yuck! If the other components are not as good as NOD now, then you end up with:
    1) A big package
    2) Paying for components which you will NOT use, and resent paying for
    3) Components which drag down the overall effectiveness of NOD.

If I were NOD, I'd go make friendly with Sygate. They have a partner, but NOD's better.

But then, if I were Sygate, I'd say "Come back when the Great Unwashed can understand you, you NOD persons."

Good night. I'm off to the Land of Nod, as they say.

4. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

Couldn't agree more. I turned away from BitDefender when they tried implementing a firewall in Pro version. I had enough of NAV when 2005 included a crappy firewall. McAfee shouldn't scan for adware I have a separate app for that etc...
    I don't like the feeling of imperfectness. Right now I have the best AV, firewall, anti-malware etc, and should a better emerge, I can change. But if someone forced something I didn't want on me, I'd feel uncomfortable with the product. (Especially if the disabled module would keep whining that my computer is unsafe.)

5. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Future NOD32s should default to all the settings the sticky in this forum recommends. In other words, cranked up. I have not noticed any decrease in performance since cranking up. Except for when I scan a disk it's definately slower but at least I'm as safe as houses.

6. Emil

Emil Registered Member

Hello to everybody and Happy New Year!

I'm sure that NOD32 will be pozitivelly affected by some very desired changes.
    Blackspear, my problems are here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=226721
    I very appreciate your initiative. I leave this forum very disappointed some month ago. Now I was just curious to see some news about security and I was surprised to see some thing for which I suffered, almost/on-the-way resolved. I have only gratefully words. NOD32 have to remain a "sportage" scanner. I have (yet functional) a PentiumI 150MHz/W98/96RAM and NOD32 is the only one that satisfy me. Since almost half an year I saved some computers and I kept secure much more.

I wish you to do a NOD32 as you like to use and as everybody will thanks to you :)

Regards,

Emil

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thank you Emil, your words are appreciated.

Cheers :D

8. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Re we actually getting any of these changes?

Out of the first 100s changes i nearly agree to 70. Many of the other 30s is because i don't need remote admin.

And Out of the those nearly 30 - 40 Changes is easily obtainable. Services Description and exe Version infomation etc. isn't this like a > 1 Hour Job?

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

They have all been looked at by Eset and from there we will have to wait and see what develops. Where else can you put suggestions to the developers of something you purchase, certainly not a car manufacturer ;) :D

Cheers :D

10. KERANO

KERANO Guest

Make the software UpToDate, it mean when I download it from server it should be Up To Date

CHange names IMON, AMON.... I was playing with my friend and I show to her ControlPanel of NOD32 and asked her to run a scan... She was playing 10 minutes until she figured out how to run scan and on the end she just run SCAN mode not CLEAN...

Than she run and CLEAN on my suggestion and NOD32 foundd a trojan but it just listed that trojan and she was thinking that it is already deleted while it needed right click-delete...

It mean that NOD32 need big changes, names of modules and automaticaly clean&delete.

If you are scared about posibility of false positive and advanced heuristic than make a separate action rule for suspicius objects, move to quarantine or submit to Eset...

hope this help

11. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

I don't think name changes are necessary, a subtitle indicating the purpose of the module would be sufficient. The names look cool :)
    But about the cleaning engine, I completely support his points.

Just a mere cosmetic thing, have you ever thoght about expanding the theme to the NOD32 module and the setup dialogs? (I know about the cool VisualPack. I mean that the Eset skin should (could) be used.)

12. dwood

dwood Registered Member

I would like to see NOD either install program component updates with out a reboot or download the program update and when the PC gets rebooted it then installs the update.

13. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Guest

Exactly

14. Imothep

Imothep Registered Member

Hi

IMPROVE THE SURF SPEED WHEN SWITCHING TO "HIGHER COMPATIBILITY MODE"
    . It is a big issue in NOD32 v2 :oops: :oops: :oops:

Discussed here : Slowdown in the surf speed

15. Culvin

Culvin Registered Member

All I ask is that as Eset develops new builds that they do not forget that a large portion of their base is made up of users who want a lightweight AV (gamers, etc).

NOD32 is currently very light on resources, has negligible impact on read-access (due to its fast scanning perhaps?), and is non-intrusive -- I believe it only uses two processes. And yet it's very configurable with a good detection rate. For these reasons I plan on switching to NOD32 very soon when my KAV license expires. I hope Eset keeps NOD32 the lightweight champ in future builds as well.

And it would be nice if Eset catches up a little more in virus definitions, especially trojans ;)

16. KERANO

KERANO Guest

Today threats are

Viruses Trojans Worms....

but but

The new generation of threats are

Spyware
    Adware
    Malware
    Keyloggers
    Spam
    Hackers

If you are not protected against these, you are in trouble!

Thats why Eset should develop NOD32 Internet Security Suite

Partnership with Sygate and Webroot would be the best quick choise!

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If it really reaches a point that Eset can't compete without these things, I would much rather see some kind of advertising partnership with 3rd party vendors to buy "recommended" products separately.. just perhaps through the same portal.

NOD32 is a very focused product and that's why I like it. If anyone in Eset is going to shift focus, I would much rather it be the marketing dept.

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

First off, i want NOD32 to consolidate the scan and clean buttons. Then there should be options to manually select actions when viruses are found or automatically follow a set of steps like clean, delete (if uncleanable), quarantine (if not deletable) etc. Secondly, on the issue of a NOD32 security suite, i agree with many ppl in saying it is unnecessary. Every AV or FW seems to be trying to be an all-in-one solution, but using that approach can lead to certain components being less/more effective than others. Bundling NOD32 with Sygate and Spy Sweeper at a discounted price would be the best option. Third, (this isnt directly related to NOD32 but) I would like to see downloadable virus definitions, that way users can install updated definition before they are online. This could also be useful if you reinstall Windows on a computer or computers. Fourth, someone previously posted about a PreBoot Scan, although a scan while in Safe Mode should suffice, i also thought this is a good idea. And lastly, I wanted to know if NOD32 scans archive bombs and scripts/macros.

19. Culvin

Culvin Registered Member

Regarding Spyware detection, couldn't Eset simply add spyware and other malware definitions and give the user the option to include them? This doesn't seem like it would impact resource usage or system performance. Or would this require a rewrite of the engine? Either way, it's not a big deal to me since Spybot and Ad-aware are available for free.

It becomes harder to justify including a firewall since that's another aspect of computer security altogether. And XP already comes with a firewall, not to mention all of the good alternatives available (several of which are free). I can see why some typical home users would be more comfortable buying a suite though. And if Eset does include a firewall, I'd hope they give us the option whether or not to install it.

20. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There's already such an option in the on-demand scanner setup called Potentially dangerous applications.

21. MAL.

MAL. Guest

If you dont wanna catch a virus right after you install windows before you connect to the internet...install a firewall... chances are that using nod32's update feature wont download a virus and running a software or hardware firewall to block any possible exploits through holes etc should keep you clean long enough to do the updates via nod32... even after the updates are there running a firewall is a MUST. :) agree with all the other stuff though :)

22. Hurricanetracker

Hurricanetracker Registered Member

Please don't make NOD32 some kind of security suite - the primary reason for me abandoning Norton was that it was waay too big and I didn't use half the stuff . Best way is to have seperate components ( NOD32 as anti-virus , firewall seperately etc. ) . Those suites can never have all the expertise in each component anyway - some companies specialize in making outstanding firewalls whilst others make the best in anti-virus . So , please don't do that :)

23. GeordieSEO

GeordieSEO Registered Member

I don't post much but how about....

Improved IMON (I have to turn it off as it seems to have problems with some php sites e.g. www.wordtracker.com)

An ISA 2000/2004 Plugin?

24. If you're not happy with NOD32's trojan detection rate, you can also use The Cleaner, together they are better than the competition.

25. An10Bill

An10Bill Registered Member

RA Console

There is today a possability of arranging the clients in groups, but when listed all the clients are in one big chunc.....(Atleast I have not found a way to list the groups or list only members of one group)

I would love to the see the ability to actually list the clients by collapsable groups (it tends to get messy with 150+ clients)

So a list by collapasble groups when listing clients would be nice!

--
    An10bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.