Future Changes to ESS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Blackspear, Jan 22, 2008.

1. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Can you give us an idea of what level of detail and what kind of reporting you're interested in seeing?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

2. agoretsky

Hello,

NOD32 does have some brand equity, but ESET is working on increasing the familiarity of the company name.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Hagla007

Hagla007 Registered Member

Will it be possible to make an anti ddos feature? Something that can prevent or block an attack?

4. agoretsky

Hello,

That would be difficult to do from the client side, since an attack is occurring upstream of where the software has access.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. encus

encus Registered Member

Thank you for your answer, Aryeh.

6. teodor12

teodor12 Registered Member

please build a usable firewall
    i install ESS 7 BETA and i set firewall on interactive mode and i cannot use it because of a lot of pop-ups for system connections .I try to make rules as i read here but i didnt succed in stop pop-ups
    Please how can i use firewall in interactive mod ? I find the firewall the weakest and most obsolete part of ESS .You have to understand that my pc belogs to me and not to eset and i should be allowed to make my own rules thanks

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's pretty normal that in interactive mode you will be prompted for an action when an unknown communication is detected. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to call it interactive mode if it behaved like automatic or learning mode. Automatic mode is suitable for most users while interactive mode for those who know how to respond to action prompts.

8. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Wish there would be another mode which lies between policy mode and interactive mode...aka intelligent interactive mode :)

What this mode should be doing is that, it should build the list of trusted apps automatically (guess, it can leverage that data from live grid) and automatically blocking suspicious actions ( i think this is where new module in hips come into picture)..
    And for any unknown applications to ESET, it could behave as normal interactive mode.

This way it would reduce number of pop ups by a lot...

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Want to get in the game on the new beta, but lack of time. :(

Does the new version include Twitter protection?

10. agoretsky

Hello,

If you want to "train" the firewall to recognize all of the apps you normally use, run it in Learning Mode for a few days and it will automatically create rules for network-aware applications as they perform network access.

When you have run through all of your network-aware apps, you can then switch to Interactive Mode to prompt for actions when an action occurs for which there is no rule, or Policy Mode, in which network connections for which there are no rules will be dropped.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. agoretsky

Hello,

There currently is no specific module or app for filtering Twitter; malicious URLs sent via Twitter are handled just like those from any other website by the network scanning components of ESET's software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. Stimulator

Stimulator Registered Member

Adding 'open in a new window' option for watch activity window.

13. harsha_mic

Thanks for the reply Aryeh. Yes, the advised solution does the job, but needs some degree of user intervention. And am not sure if trust of the applications, which manually added during learning mode is been verified by ESET or not. That's a worrisome.

Also, is there a way we can scan andriod phone when connected to desktop?

14. agoretsky

Hello,

Managing a firewall is always going to require some level of judgement by the computer user (or whomever is responsible for it) because there's no one right way to configure the settings that can cover each use case. What some people might want to block, others might want to allow, and so forth.

With regard to scanning an Android device, that largely depends on how it gets mounted on the host computer. If, for example, it just shows up as a mass storage device (like a USB flash drive), ESET Smart Security should prompt to scan it, just like it would any other removable media that was attached to the computer. If it connects to the system in some proprietary way, than its files would not be scanned until they were accessed from the host computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. harsha_mic

thanks aryeh for the reply.

reg. Andriod Phone scanning in Windows..I think i found the reason why ESS cannot scan my Phone (nexus 4). The phone disk is partioned with HFS (generic hierarchical file system, devloped by apple per wiki), which is being recongnized natively in Windows but not in ESET.

Thanks,
    Harsha.

16. encus

encus Registered Member

Here are some suggestions of mine:
    1. If an url or a content is blocked, please mention the reason why in the pop up notification (not just because of internal black list or contains potentially dangerous content, but give a specific reason)
    2. In Log section, under Filtered Websites and all other sections, on the logged item, please add "Show Details" inside the contextual menu to give user detailed info on that item.
    3. Why does ESS log all the Detected Threats, Computer Scan and Events but not with Firewall and HIPS? If you say that the log will make significant impact on system performance due to the file size that will grow bigger and bigger, is there any plan to overcome this problem so they will be logged by default just like the other items?

Thank you.

17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Each record would have to state "Because of malware detected"

All information is already shown in the log, there are no further details.

Attack attempts are logged by default in the firewall log as far as I know. The on-demand scanner does not log all scanned files by default for the very same reason.

I'd strongly recommend that you post in the official ESET's forum https://forum.eset.com as of now as the forum at Wilders' is going to be closed some time soon.

18. encus

encus Registered Member

Ok, for example if an url was blocked because of internal black list by ESS, the popup notification didn't say the reason why. I found out that it was the internal black list by opening the Log section.

I have performed double check and I'm very sure that the On-demand scanner logs all scanned files by default on my computer since the very first time I installed this ESS (I'm on ESS 6.0.316.0, Windows 8 Pro 32 bit).

Thank you, Marcos.

19. agoretsky

Hello,

If it is recognized natively by Windows (i.e., it shows up with a drive letter) you can try running a scan against it from within ESET Smart Security.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

20. XenonS

XenonS Registered Member

I'm very satisfied with ESET v.6 : great performance and excellent detection rate. Also the Interactive Mode fits best for advanced users.

What I would most like in ESET is the capability of sorting the entries in the HIPS Management (Hips > Rule editor > configure rules), especially sorting by Source Applications or by Rules (exe name). This makes it easier to find rules to edit or delete.
    Or: make the last rule created to appear in latest position down in the list.

The same would be nice for the Firewall rules.

Thanks,
    XenonS

21. agoretsky

Hello,

Your feature request has been forwarded to ESET's project management tam for consideration in a future release of the software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.