Future Changes to ESS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Blackspear, Jan 22, 2008.

1. maaster

maaster Registered Member

Consider the following case which I have experienced personally:
    I ran a malware application(intentionally for testing) but that was not there in ESET's signatures....hence it was undetected....the malware was a ransomware (win lock)....after running it I got a blank white screen that did not allow me to do any task...hence I had no option but to shutdown my computer and again start it...then I restored my computer..then the system worked fine...
    I am not complaining that ESET failed me as no antiviruses can be 100% but I have some suggestions...
    A few weeks before I tried kaspersky internet security and again I ran some malwares for tetsing....I tried to run the undetected samples and I was quite impressed with the way their HIPS(application control in KIS) performance...
    If I ran a application that was not there in their signatures...a popup has been received with three options allow,restrict,block..If I click on restrict KIS will prevent the applications from modifying important registry values...
    So this sounds better to any learning mode of HIPS in ESET which will generate so many prompts...Hence my suggestion is to identify important registry values that are necessary for proper functioning of the system and restrict it from unknown application(even clean) or allow the user to decide...
    I think this can prevent zero day malware from infecting any PC....Don't say that this has been already there in some hidden HIPS rules...let us adopt this technique even though this is from a competitive vendor....

2. encus

encus Registered Member

I totally agree with you! I really like to see ESS as strong in protection as Kaspersky but stay light, in fact lighter than ever ;)

3. encus

encus Registered Member

Sandbox.
    It's about time for ESS to have one.

4. encus

encus Registered Member

Virtual Keyboard, to increase protection against keylogger ;)

5. encus

encus Registered Member

Stronger HIPS.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No it's not ;)

There have to be AV's that doesn't include Sandboxes .
    When people request that ESET should add a sandbox I say, why don't you use Sandboxie along with ESET instead?

Personally I don't like the whole sandbox thing at all, the lack of one, is one of the reasons why I use ESET!

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It keeps improving by module updates afaik :thumb:

Though if you want it to behave like a classic HIPS, then put it into the "interactive mode" but the popups will surely increase too.

8. encus

encus Registered Member

Whenever there's an attack, I hope ESS can show the infos about country & city of the attacker, username, IP address, etc.
    That would be so cool :cool:

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I do not think that ESET will provide that detailed a view of information for privacy reasons, but you can already see some of that information by visiting ESET's VirusRadar website, which was just-relaunched and is now in public beta.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10. encus

encus Registered Member

Thanks.

11. Shantanu

Shantanu Registered Member

I'm suggesting a point that I really wanna to see in the final version of ESS 6. Don't know why it's not been implimented till now and if anyone has already mentioned it here before or not.

- Update the timer that shows the estimated download time of the update file when update is in process into the HH:MM:SS format from the current second format.

Hope my suggestion 'll be considered as we don't have to calculate the seconds into minutes or hours.

And does anyone have any clue about the release date of final ESS 6? Then please share.

12. Janus

Janus Registered Member

The latest gossip says, the first month of 2013, Source reference :D

Cheers, Janus

13. Shantanu

thanks mate...if anyone else has any further info in future then kindly share that here

14. encus

encus Registered Member

I agree with you :thumb:

15. Shantanu

I think everyone should agree with me at this point as it's too much annoying to convert each & every time the sec(s) to HH:MM format by calculating when you are downloading a ample amount of bytes. It's nothing but waste of our time.

16. encus

encus Registered Member

I want to add something; this HH:MM:SS time format is suitable for people who doesn't update the virus signature everyday (let's say once every 3 weeks) or has a slow internet connection because the current time format will perhaps be displayed in more than 1 minute so your suggestion will do.

17. Shantanu

It's already Oct ...2nd week ....Win8 is just about to release. Anybody got any info about the ETA of ESS 6 final version? I really wanna to use it with win8

18. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Current modules are fully compatible with Windows 8 no matter what version of the program you use.

19. Shantanu

do i need to enable the pre-release update feature in order to use ess6 in win8? currently i use win7

20. Marcos

No, you don't. Modules fully compatible with Windows 8 are available for all users on regular update servers.

21. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

It is not acceptable to have a antispam that does not work with all email softwares (Thunderbird, The Bat!, Postbox, ...).

ESET should be able to develop an anti-spam software that works independently of the email software. Other antispams do this very well.

22. djalminha

djalminha Registered Member

-Compatible with Thunderbird
    -Remove parental control
    -options to scaning files in quarantin
    -boot scan without making CD/DVD or usb
    -updating and upgrading firewall
    -removing false alarm
    -makig trusted zone on browser

23. Marcos

Email received via POP3(S)/IMAP(S) is scanned for malware regardless of the email client used. Unfortunately, the development cycle of Mozilla products so so fast that it's not possible to create a special plug-in for each version as long as they constantly make significant changes.

Not a good idea at all. I presume that Parental control will be improved over time to provide parents with more options for tracking their children activities and thus protect them from unwanted stuff.

I don't see any reason for this as false positives are something our users face very seldom thanks to various techniques ESET uses to minimize them to the bare minimum.

ESET's real-time protection driver already starts as early as possible. Nonetheless, a brand new SysRescue should be introduced soon.

This has been happening constantly. Also ESS v6 has brought new protection features in its firewall.

I can barely remember a false positive due to the reason mentioned above. If there were, they were mainly potentially unwanted applications reported as FP which is, of course, not FP but a normal PUA detection.

24. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hold on, what was that, Marcos, " a brand new SysRescue should be introduced soon" you say. Yippy dippy doo :D ....... that is definitely something I will looking forward to, with great eager. (Not that I expect that I have to use it ;) )

Cheers, Janus

25. Shantanu

thanks for all those info. can u give us any glimpse about the release of full version ess6?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.