Full then Incremental backup PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Roger Macon, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger Macon

Roger Macon Registered Member

With TI9 on Monday did a manual full system backup to an external hard drive dedicated to backups only-NO PROBLEM. On Tuesday did a manual Incremental backup-NO PROBLEM. On Wednesday did a manual Incremental backup-NO PROBLEM.

PROBLEM: On Thursday attempted to do a manual Incremental backup but it would not work. Doing manual Incremental backups seem to be very straight forward. Follow the wizard, select the Monday and move along. After I select “Proceed” almost instantaneously I get the error message “Operation has completed with errors, Please, see log for more detail.” The log says” Operation with partition “C:” was terminated. [Details] Unable to create volume snapshot (0x 70021). Why is this? It worked fine for 2 days then a PROBLEM. Same thing happened last week on the third Incremental attempt after full backup.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Is there still enough room on the external to hold another Incremental backup?

3. Roger Macon

Roger Macon Registered Member

Chutsman,
    Thanks for responding! I thought about that before and checked it, The external harddrive has a maximum capacity of 60G. Without compression +-50G used. With normal compression the backup is +- 34G. The 2 Incrementals that took are +- 1G each. I should have mentioned that I am using the latest Build.

Earlier this evening I did a re-boot and just tried an Incremental amd it started without the previously mentioned message. I canceled the backup and tried to start it again and it seems willing to go on but I cancelled again to try again latter. There is something unique going on here for it was the same last week. Last week when I could not do an Incremental I re-booted and could then do an Incremental without difficulty.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Roger,

You may or may not be aware that, when creating a disk/partition image, TI backs up the data on the in-use sectors of your hard drive/partition. When TI creates an Incremental it takes a "snapshot" of the current in-use sectors and compares it with a "thumbprint" of the previous image and only backs up those sectors that have changed. However, if there have been significant changes to the sector layout since the previous image (e.g. lots of software uninstallation/reinstallation or a disk defragmentation) then the next Incremental can end up almost the same size as a Full image. The accepted rule of thumb is that the available space on the backup drive shouldn't be less than 1.5 times the size of a compressed Full image.

So, given the figures you provided, it could well be that Chutsman has hit the nail on the head.

Regards

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Roger,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please check each partition of all your hard drives (including external one) by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image 9.0 log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Let us know if the problem appears both when the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please also make a screen shot of the Device Tree application:

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application;

- Run the application;

- Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;

- Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;

- Make a screen shot;

Note that the application may crash the system when you exit, so we recommend you to save all your work and close other programs prior to running it.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.