Full back up question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TerryFox, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryFox

TerryFox Registered Member

Hi ... I'm using TI 11 latest version on my xp pro sp2 pc . I did a full backup of my C drive onto a different partition drive X awhile back ( 8 months ago ). Any ways I deleted this backup and just now did a new backup of my c drive , Though I now notice the size is much smaller , Why is that ? I would think it would be bigger rather than smaller considering I added more data onto my c drive . So what gives with the smaller size ? Thanks

BTW Its the same option I use with my first backup full

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Are you sure you did a full backup and not an incremental or differential?

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Did you do a "partition" backup or a "disk" backup (all partitions) or a "Files & Folders" Backup.

You would normally expect it to be larger unless you have moved or deleted some files.

4. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

What is and was the size of the backups?
    Did you use the same compression?
    What is the actual amount of disk space used on C?
    You may have had a whole load of temporary, log, prefetch files, or other rubbish in the original which you got rid of.

5. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Yeah ,cleaning out all of the 'garbage' makes a difference . Makes your restores faster too , obviously. :D

6. TerryFox

Hi ... I selected " My Computer " and then Disks & Partitions , hightlighted the C drive and made a full backup onto my other X drive , It was not incremental or differential back up but full . Both was done this way and no I didn't delete any junk files or microsoft updates or prefetch files , None at all , Infact I added more data this is why I find this odd . Thanks

7. sparkymachine

Well you haven't answered any of my questions so can't help.
    Obviously more data = bigger backups, therefore there is a reason somewhere for it.

8. TerryFox

now its just 3.3gb , before it was just over 5 gb

yes its the same

over 60gb of free space on c drive

Like I said before nothing gone deleted or remove only extra data got added

9. sparkymachine

Thanks for that info.
    1.5 Gb is a hell of a difference if you haven't cleaned anything off the system of course.
    The only thing i can think of is that the latest backup is ignoring something the other backup wasn't. Is that a possibility?

10. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

...and you haven't run Disk Cleanup at any time? I did this on our 'old' PC yesterday and got a similar reduction, mostly from XP compressing old files.

11. TerryFox

Hi , All I know if I make a full back up onto my other partition and later ( it can be within a few hours or longer ) decide to delete this backup , reboot my system and do exactly another backup it will be smaller , I can't understand why .

12. sparkymachine

so in the end the backup will be zero bytes big if you carry on - sorry, it makes no sense what you say.

What i've been trying to ask all along is the actual size difference - what is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.