FTP Client Alternatives?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey, anybody know of any good free alternatives to SmartFTP? I used it for years and really liked it, but now they decided they want everyone to pay for it and all of a sudden the older version I've been using has expired and refuses to load.

I have looked around and found several options, but thought I'd get some opinions from users of what is a good one. I saw on a couple that the FTP client likes to add links within the html file that links back to their site. This is highly unacceptable and should be illegal.

I've glanced over FileZilla, but it looks way to overcomplicated for just transferring files. I glanced at CoreFTP, but can't really find any definitive info over it.

So any suggestions?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Capp, while I mainly use the built-in FTP client inside Adobe's Dreamweaver, my backup is FileZilla, however, since you find it complicated, how about WinSCP? Here are their FAQs and Screenshots.

You could try WinSCP Portable first, to see if you like it. Let us know if that program works for you.

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I decided to give FileZilla a try. I use FireFox and Thunderbird for everything else so I figured their software is safe and reliable.

It seems less complicated than originally suspected. It has a nice ability to modify the interface for my liking. It actually seems to run faster and smoother than SmartFTP did.

So, I give my recommendation for FileZilla to anyone looking for a good FTP client.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I second Filezilla. Actively developed too.

Sul.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Capp, glad to hear that FileZilla is your final choice. Yes, the GUI can be daunting at first, but as Sully has stated, the constant development keeps it at the top of the heap! I also carry around the FileZilla Portable version in my USB drive.

6. sded

sded Registered Member

Another Filezilla user, but there is also a Firefox extension called FireFTP that seems to work well. I use it sometimes when using Firefox for simple transfers.

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

There's CuteFTP, in several flavors, but what I use is FireFTP within Firefox.

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I dropped SmartFTP a year ago due to buggyiness with it terminating before the UI had loaded (and newer releases did not fix things) and moved across Filezilla.
    It is not as user friendly, but just as functional and no stability problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.