FS-Security...*nix distro firewall/ICS, anyone try it?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by YeOldeStonecat, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    http://www.fs-security.com/
    Did a search for it here..came up blank.

I'm a fan of the *nix distro routers that you install on a dedicated box, or within a VMWare server..such as Endian, IPCop, Untangle, etc...
    but this little one looks cool.

2. Unity

Unity Registered Member

afaik Firestarter is nothing more than a gui for iptable which is the firewall included in the linux kernel.
    It has nothing in common with , let's say ipcop which is a fully working and stand alone firewall.

You can install firestarter from synaptic under ubuntu for example.

Then again , i am not a linux guru , just a regular user , take my words with a grain of salt :D

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I am just repeating what the other poster said. Firestarter is just an application that is used to put a GUI frontend to iptables.

Have you tried pfsense? It may be another one for you to play around with (seeing as though this one isn't a distro) It is a project forked from m0n0wall, that was unsatisfied with m0n0wall's goal of being an embedded system. It is based on FreeBSD 6 and uses OpenBSD's pf, so you have a great combo of speed, a large number of apps, a GUI, and an excellent firewall.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.