From now all Rising Security Products will be free for personal use

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

is it fine if someone posts the direct links for download of any of the Rising's?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

gery, as long as the links are inactive, like -http://www.wilderssecurity.com-, it should not be a problem. Then, they can be copied & pasted into a browser, if someone wishes to do so.

3. gery

gery Registered Member

yes something like that.
    thanks a lot

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Rising Antivirus Free
    -http://rsdownload.rising.com.cn/rsfree/2011/ravf.exe-

Rising Internet Security Free
    -http://down.rising.net.cn/rsfree/2011/risf.exe-

Rising Firewall Free
    -http://rsdownload.rising.com.cn/rsfree/rfwf.exe-

5. gery

gery Registered Member

thanx:thumb: :thumb:

6. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I downloaded the samples from malwaredomainlist from the section recent updates.

Thanxx
    Naren

7. khanyash

Rising is freeware now but the official site still mentions trial/paid version. I downloaded & installed RIS 2011 from the official site. I guess though the official site doesn't mentions its freeware now but it is freeware from the official site too. Coz previously when it was not freeware, after install it use to mention that its a 30 days trial but now when I installed it from the official site no such notification, nothing in the GUI too. So I guess its freeware from the official site too, its just not mentioned there. Just try it from official site. If you will download it from the chinese site which mentions its freeware now. On the GUI in the right hand side & sometimes on the top of the gui it displays some news in chinese. I have tried RIS from the chinese site too.

Thanxx
    Naren

8. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

I submitted the files to Softpedia to be updated with the correct versions and info.

Thanks.:D

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

oh! that's good to know...:D

10. khanyash

Today I tested RIS 2011 with 103 zeroday malwares from malwaredomainlist & malc0de. It blocked 99 malware. The 4 malware which it didn't blocked, I think they are unwanted softwares coz malwarebytes & hitmanpro too didn't detected them. Rising's Signatures & Behaviour Blocker did a good job specially Behaviour Blocker was quite good on detecting zeroday malware.

The only thing I found not good was a proxy server was set by a malware on the system & I wasn't able to connect to the net. Though it can be manually deleted. Another thing which was not good was though Rising detected all the threats, no active malware was there but the malware traces cleanup job by Rising is not that impressive. Malwarebytes found 69 traces, mostly files & few registry.

But on the whole Rising was impressive.

103 Malware
    Rising - 99
    Avast- 69 & 17 Autosandbox
    Comodo - 79, 8 detected by Cloud, 9 Autosandboxed & for the rest Unsigned Program wants Unlimited Rights popup was there.
    MSE - 59. MSE updated right after the test. So it detected 29 more threats.

Thanxx
    Naren

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Thanks. Impressive results.

12. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Good test Naren..!!! Last time I scanned with Rising, it produced a few of FPs. have you found any? And have you tested aith highest settings?

13. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

is the Internet Security suite worth installing and trying?
    or even the AV?

looking at the testing being done who knows

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Great test Naren, Haha lucky for MSE :D

15. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

My friend got her netbook installed with Rising,it made that lappy so slow. so I get rid of it and installed Avast! , Rising is not that good, Vb100 proves that

16. khanyash

No I didn't had a single FP. I always go with the default settings for protection. I only tweak general non protection features. Highest settings are good but also chances of FP's increases. I only tested with defaults. I am not a tester. Its just that when I am running a security software, I request few testers to test the products. If they are busy then I go ahead & test it myself.

I was amazed to see Rising Trojan Defense impressive results with zeroday malware. I thought its just behaviour blocker or more coz the results were amazing. So I sent a mail to Rising asking what & how Rising Trojan Defense works? Here is the reply they sent

Trojan Defense component; within this component, we have integrated advanced security defense technique into this function, both the heuristics defense structure, Rising Cloud, and behavior filter and blocker, and etc. So, by adopting Rising Dynamic Behavior Analysis technique on Windows operating system kernel, the Trojan Defense component surely intercepts unknown Trojan, Backdoor, Worm, and other malicious viruses program at real-time.

Thanxx
    Naren

17. khanyash

I find Rising Internet Security 2011 light & effective. Give it a chance & try it.

If you want to see how effective it is, I would say forget all the so called tests, certification tests, etc. Forget about my test.

Just install a VM & test Rising against malware. You will know to go with Rising or not.

Thanxx
    Naren

18. khanyash

I am running RIS 2011 on XP SP 3 with 504 RAM. Its very light. Every activity on the system is smooth.

As for VB100. Dont trust in all these completely. See the list of AV which have got VB100. Few names will shock you & you will say OMG how this AV got VB100.

The best tester is the user himself. So whatever AV you want to run, if you want to check its effectiveness just try it against malware in a VM. You will know how good or bad it is.

Thanxx
    Naren

19. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

In response to a query I raised for our own website, Arthur Meng who is responsible for product development at Rising International has confirmed that apart from the antivirus, other Rising products are not free outside of China. The reason they are free for users within China is because of the security software competition there. Users outside of the China region will experience their products converting to trial versions to varying degrees depending on which servers they connect to for updates, or other links back to Rising which aren't blocked. So, even though the use of these products may be "possible" to some degree outside of China it is not the intention of Rising that they should be. This is why we have not been supporting such use on our own site.

See this thread:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/security/6906-when-rising-is-not-so-free.html

20. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

I guess noone travels abroad from China these days? :rolleyes: Well, sounds pretty much like the "known spyware" warning about their site from Barracuda filter was pretty much spot on. :thumbd:

21. littlebits

I guess that is the reason that these files were not added to Softpedia and other download sites.

I have several users who have confirmed that they downloaded the files from the Chinese servers and it has been well over 30 days and they are still working as freeware. I'm sure that the files downloaded from Rising Global servers will switch to trial after the 30 days.

Too bad they didn't offer freeware to everyone.:D

22. deadmeat

I would second that. I doubt the AV performance for non Chinese malware will suit everyone, but the firewall in particular offers something for Windows 7 users which is sadly lacking in other compatible products. Not everyone wants a full blown HIPS bundled with their firewall so apart from FortiClient such choices are limited for Windows 7. Great logging and rule creation abilities also set Rising apart in this area. I will be going back to Rising "in light of this confusion" etc., in an attempt to get them to include the firewall as a free global offering. Maybe there's not much hope, but there's always some until they say no :)

23. littlebits

24. deadmeat

Thanks littlebits for posting these links.

This is even more strange now since I have just received another email direct from Rising answering "no" to my suggestion that they could at least make the firewall freeware for users outside of China.

I don't normally reproduce private emails but this is an extraction from it:

"Thanks for your suggestion. But here I have to say sorry.
    In accordance with our company global market strategy, we will not publish
    Rising Firewall in freemium policy. Anyway, thank you for your kind
    suggestion".

Obviously another email is now winging its way to China from my PC :D

The only other possible conditions I can think of is that this decision was taken by one of Risings international subsidiaries without their knowledge, or they have their own internal communications mixed up.

No doubt all will be clarified shortly :)

25. deadmeat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.