From BRONTOK.A to BRONTOK.B?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jebs, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jebs

jebs Registered Member

Hi guys!

A week ago my PC got infected with BRONTOK.A. I tried many anti-brontok scanner, washer, remover that many here in the board suggested but to no avail. Since I am just a newbie here, for the past few days I got to be abled to come and read the right thread. Thanks, now I got the right antivirus scanner for the job. NOD32 is really a true winner! AVG is also good! Thanks to this great site wilderssecurity.com! (I found out this great site while searching in google for BRONTOK.:cool:)

Anyhow, when I first got the worm it was BRONTOK.A, but when the scanner detected it, it changed to BRONTOK.B.o_O I read here in the board that some got infected with BRONTOK.C, .D, etc. It seems that there is a transition going on while the worm is in your system. What is the difference between those variants?

In BRONTOK.A a green like web page will pop up on your screen monitor from time to time with the word BRONTOK.A written in red. There were also some words on the screen which I believe an Indonesian language.

I don't have much and very limited knowledge when it comes to computer technicalities. So allow me to ask this question: Is it okay that I have deleted all the infected files (about 750 of them) without backing up? Most of the infected files were all in the "System volume information/restore" and "Document and Settings/local setting/application data/". In each file, there were long numbers with it which I don't understand what was it, and I deleted them all, anyway. If my system crash because of that, I have no choice but to do a full reformatting on my HDD.

Thank You wilderssecurity.com! and MORE POWER!:thumb:

GOD Bless you all!:cool:

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  3. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

disable system restore first before cleaning/scanning...

4. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

try to boot in safe mode then scan your hdd :D if it doesnt work try to find brontok cleaner/removal tools by searching it in google (i forget the link)

5. jebs

jebs Registered Member

Thanks for all the inputs guys! I really appreciate it!:cool:

Fortunately I already able to get rid-off the worm using NOD32. And on the other PC which was also got infected with BRONTOK, I used AVG. And both antivirus scanners did the job.:thumb:

But what are the differences of each variant - BRONTOK.A, .B, .C, .D, etc.? When I first got the worm, it was BRONTOK.A. when I start scanning it, it transformed to BRONTOK.B. Why is it so? Perhaps if the worm is new in the system it will start first from A then to B and so on and so forth.o_O Perhaps too, if the worm will still stay for another week in my system, it may changed to C until it reaches Z.:blink: :gack: :D

Thanks for giving the links.:thumb::cool:

I got the worm not from an email attachment though. I copied some files (some office works) from my officemate's PC into my USB flashdisk. When I got home, I inserted the USB flashdisk into my PC at home and WALLA!! My PC just rebooted by itself.

I was not even able to get the chance to antivirus scan (using Mcaffe before) the flashdisk. The moment I inserted the flashdisk my PC suddenly rebooted by itself. And also when I inserted the memory card of my digi-cam into my card reader/writer the same thing happened, my PC just rebooted by itself. When I checked the contents of the memory card, strange! I found another folder in it!o_O And that perhaps the memory card got infected too. But now my flashdisk and memory card are both free with BRONTOK.:)

I will do this next time. Thanks!;)

I already tried many anti-BRONTOK cleaners, washers, remover but to no avail. NOD32 and AVG did the job. Thanks for the suggestions too.:)

I appreciate all your inputs guys! THANKS! and GOD Bless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.