Fresh Windows 8 Install

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by PaulBB, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Nope, this is not a thread ''this versus that'' as I know is forbidden by the forum rules. I just need help to choose between Toolwiz Time Freeze and Shadow Defender on a clean Windows 8 system.

I know that both are great, small and lightweight, but I need more feedback based on real user experience, different systems/scenarios.

So share your experiences and Thank you.

Please don't start with X is better than Y....I don't need that, I just want to find if there are compatibility issues etc..

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

SD is good and simple but I've found issues on Windows XP, Windows 7/8 I don't think there are much issues... BUt you can try if you want...
    TimeFreeze I felt is too much simple and lack necessary options like Excluding folders an stuff...
    You can try CleanSlate.. At Start it looks complicated but no its not... Its very much simple to configure too...

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

A versus B is only restricted to antivirus programs, any other applications are allowed to be compared as long as it is a normal debate...

I'm using Shadow Defender V. 1.3.0.457 on Windows 8 without any problems except sometimes (once in 10 reboots) rebooting might take a long time or even a hard restart from the start button might be required (even under these circumstances protection is reliable).

Otherwise Shadow Defender has an excellent reputation in terms of protecting all partitions from malware that might not be detected by antivirus programs. It has no system impact, and its learning curve is indeed very intuitive.

Last but not least, if your computer has a generous amount of RAM, SD can be configured to load the virtual volume on to RAM, speeding up the machine and erasing the whole session on reboot. I don't know anything about Toolwiz Time Freeze.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I pretty much have to echo the same satisfaction that Osaban finds in Shadow Defender. On windows 8.0 i also have SD 1.3.0.457 set On-Demand Only and it's dependability is been flawless here. For me it's a true set and forget type of virtualization software.

I prefer 1024 MB memory allocation and that more than supplies ample time to keep the "writes" confined outside the Hdd.

Regards Easter

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Windows 8 64 bit running in a standard user account. Shadow Defender version .455 seems to be working good here. I have 8GB of memory and allocate 2048MB (2GB) for SD's write cache. That is more than plenty for brief surfing excursions. I only use SD on demand a couple times a week though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.