Fresh install of quietzone for the first time: some questions

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Rilla927, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I d/l the trial version of quietzone and it told me my Returnil was too outdated (I use a older version because of problems in the past) that I had to uninstall it first. I uninstalled Returnil cleaned the folders out and ran CCleaner but I forgot to purge the entries in Outpost Firewall of Returnil, so when I noticed this I proceeded to remove them and then rebooted the system. After this I re-checked the FW and the entries were put back in there, so I did this two more times and it did the same thing. After the uninstall of Returnil I did check to see if there were any drivers left over in the device manager and there was not.

I do remember when quietzone installed it did ask more than once about something that was linked to Returnil and I thought that was odd because it wasn't installed. Also, visually when I look in the FW under Application Rules you will see the icon for quietzone but next to it, it says RVSGUI.EXE. Is this normal?

Second thing, when I right click on quietzone and choose "Enable One Time Quietzone protection and start Privacy Browser" it says it cannot establish a connection to Tor control port. Do I need to add something to the FW setting as far as a local host to the HTTP, HTTPS, DNS? Now even though it throws up this window and says it can't establish a connection the icon in upper right corner is orange instead of green and if you look at the settings of quietzone it does say "on" One Time Quietzone. The round circle is still going since yesterday saying "Registration Pending".

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Like the transition from the old RVS 2008 to RVS 2010, the generations are not compatible due to the extensive changes under the hood. In this scenario it is moving from v3.2x to v4x (Ex: RSS to QZ). This is the same for the product licensing where an older 2x or 3x License Number will not work with the new 4x QZ generation and visa-versa. In short, this means that you can't install the 4x generation over an existing 3x or 2x generation client which need to be uninstalled before installing QZ.

Don't fret that detail as QZ uses the same IPs for product remote management, registration, and checking for the availability of new build updates. The reason for this is that the back-end remains the same to allow for multi generational remote management for our enterprise level customers.

Yes, this is expected and used to keep consistency for similar reasons to the previous answer.

This is not expected. The error appears to be in relation to a possible outgoing comm issue. Please check your firewall and proxy/gateway logs for a block on connection to the TOR network. If you do not find anything, please open a support ticket at support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com with the zipped folder at "C:\ProgramData\Quietzone\RQZ\Tor Browser" and we can take a closer look at what might be happening in this case.

3. Rilla927

Okay, I do have a some connections blocked, one is coming from Returnil. This is what shows in the log despite the rules that were put into place. It seems like it's being overridden some how. It's blocking all activity.

The other has to do with this particular setup with this laptop. The ethernet is plugged into the back of my router and I can see the address's from my computer and the laptop itself being blocked. This stupid firewall's "attack detection" is blocking this from what I can see. I disabled to attack detection and rebooted and no change. I have no idea how to fix this. I have never had this problem before at anytime when I worked on this laptop before.

Now about the versions of Returnil itself. I just went to the Returnil site and the mirror it gave me over at majorgeeks reads
    Returnil System Safe Pro 2011 3.2.12918.5857-REL14.

Is this version compatible with quietzone?

4. Coldmoon

That is the last build for the older 3.2x RSS version as discussed above. You can get the new QZ from our website:

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/

If you use the returnil.com address, it will redirect to this address with the new Quietzone pages and links to the older pages for RSS/RVS 2011.

We don't use mirrors for the new Quietzone. That is, when you use the download button on the new pages, you will be getting the installer directly from our servers. The file you will be downloading here is the network installer which will then grab the most recent build from our servers during the install process.

5. Rilla927

Let's clarify:

Is quietzone replacing Returnil? Or is it a add-on. I'm a bit confused cause the link I went to just a moment ago gave me a outdated version then according to what you are saying.

You're saying I need to re-d/l quietzone and re-install it. Should I install both or one or the other and if both, what order to do so?

6. Coldmoon

QZ is the latest generation of our Instant System Recovery technology and succeeds our older generations like RSS and RVS. It is also the only generation that includes Windows 8/8.1 support. We will not be updating the older versions going forward with RSS scheduled for retirement at the end of this year.

While our customers will still be able to get the older RVS Lite 2011 and RVS Pro 2011, we will be working to move them all eventually to the new version except where that is not possible for whatever reason (most commonly related to ASIAN based systems where the older RVS 2010 generation is still preferred and Windows 8 adoption is lagging).

The mirror sites all still have the older generations (REF: RVS Lite, RVS Pro/RSS Pro 2011). The new download link on our main web page is for the new Quietzone generation which we host ourselves. This is a build agnostic network installer that simply initiates the install process, connects to our server to obtain the most recent build, and then completes the installation process for QZ. If you save and then reuse the network installer, the same process will happen and you will always download the most recent release build.

Once installed, QZ will automatically check the server to see if there is a new build available and will alert you to its availability at computer start with an option to upgrade immediately or hold the upgrade for a later time.

As noted above, the network installer itself is not needed if you already have QZ installed. QZ will let you know if there is a new build and will offer an option to DL and install the new build automatically.

No, you must uninstall older versions before you install the new 4x Quietzone version. IOWs, you cannot upgrade in place from a2x or 3x version to the 4x QZ version.

7. Rilla927

Okay, now I understand. The confusion came in were I thought it was a add-on. This is why I was puzzled at the things you had said and didn't understand.

My settings were messed up in my router and this is what was causing all the blocked connections (this is good now) but yet when I try to enable (enable one time quietzone and start privacy browser) it with TOR I still get the window telling me it can't connect to the TOR control port. The icon is orange instead of green. I don't see any indication of the TOR browser in my log at all.

The other two options (enable one time quietzone protection & enable permanent quietzone protection) do work when I enable them according to the icon.

After looking at the log again I noticed I only see the one service RCC, never the RSS.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  8. Coldmoon

Hi Rilla,
    Any issue with TOR is going to be logged in the directory I posted earlier (ref: C:\ProgramData\Quietzone\RQZ\Tor Browser). Open a support ticket with the contents of that folder and the team can check them to investigate the connection issue.

As for the change in color for the desktop toolbar, that is supposed to happen as a visual warning that the virtualization (sandbox) is active.

9. Rilla927

I was in the middle of sending this file to support and my email program told me it exceeded it's maximum size of 20MB. The original file was 90MB and after I zipped it, it reduced it by half. What to do now...

10. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Send the contents of the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Quietzone\RQZ\Tor Browser\Data\Tor and will reply back if they need different information

11. Rilla927

Put in a support ticket.

12. Coldmoon

Hi Rilla,
    Send the attachment with the logs in the C:\ProgramData\Quietzone\RQZ\Tor Browser\Data\Tor to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com

13. Rilla927

My email client will not let the zip file go through, it says it's too big. Now when I filled out the support ticket I didn't see a way to attach it. Who knows, I may have overlooked it. I gave them a link to this thread. We will see what happens.

14. Coldmoon

that is strange as the specific folder should have only three files which can be opened in notepad so shouldn't be that large. What are the file sizes in the ...RQZ\Tor Browser\Data\Tor directory?

15. Rilla927

Okay, I now have the right folder. I went as far as Tor Browser and copied it, that's why it was so big. I put a copy on the desktop for when they need it.

16. Rilla927

The proper file has been sent through the email Returnil had sent to me, I forwarded it back with the file attached. I completely lost everything when I was typing in the last post before. It was time to walk away. My hand hit a button on the mouse the wrong way and everything disappeared.

17. Coldmoon

Hi Rilla,
    Please check your e-mail. To diagnose the issue, we need some more information.

18. Rilla927

I received your message. I won't be able to get to this until later tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.