Freeze Snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by WilliamP, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I can't use PowerShadow on my computer. Tried it and their support told me it doesn't support SATA drives. I do have and love my FD-ISR. Can I use Freeze snapshot the same way that PS is used? Boot computer, freeze snapshot after letting software update. Then if needed or desired unfreeze.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It depends on what you want to freeze. Everything ?
    1. How many partitions do you have ? One harddisk/One partition [C:] ?
    2. Any anchoring ?
    3. Browser ? Email-software ?

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  3. WilliamP

Erik, I thought about the possibility of work it just like PS . Just freeze my whole snapshot. I only have one partition. I have never anchored anything. The only thing I had thought about anchoring is the E Mails. Can that be done? I wanted to possibly boot up let some programs update ,like NOD, check E Mails, then freeze it. If I want to download something to keep,unfreeze.

4. ErikAlbert

WilliamP,
    Maybe it's best that you start working with a frozen snapshot in the same way as you did with PowerShadow. There isn't much difference.

1. First check Tools/Options/Freeze where you can find the folder, where the freeze storage will be stored. If you don't agree with this default folder you have to create a folder yourself and change it in the options.
    Since you have only one partition, the folder will probably be good enough.

2. Boot in the snapshot that needs to be frozen, because only the ACTIVE snapshot (green arrow) can be frozen and only ONE snapshot can be frozen.

3. Use the function "Freeze" under "Actions" and the snapshot will be frozen.
    This will take some time, because FDISR has to create the file "Freeze Storage.ARX".
    After that the green arrow will have a blue star, which indicates a frozen snapshot.

Don't worry about the time for the first freezing, after that everything goes faster.

That's all.

Now the rules :
    1. Each time you reboot, any change will disappear.
    2. If you want to keep something, use "Freeze" first, this will update the freeze storage.
    3. If you don't want to keep it, don't freeze and it will disappear during the next reboot.

Keep in mind that each time you "Freeze", possible infections will be also frozen. So you have to do it at the right moment. I hope you understand this.

What is your email program ?

5. WilliamP

I went into Tools/Options/Freeze and there under Freeze Storage everything is blank. There isn't any default folder. So what do I put in there? Now the Rules. I don't exactly understand 2. Does this mean that while frozen you can save something by telling it to Freeze? For E Mail I use OE.

6. ErikAlbert

1. If you don't have a default folder, I don't know where the freeze storage will be stored. Probably somewhere in the C:\$ISR-folder. It doesn't really matter.
    I had to create a folder, because my freeze storage is stored in my data partition [D:].

2. Yes, you can update a frozen snapshot at any time by using "Freeze", IF you want to keep something of course. I suggest you try it with a simple notepad file or something.

3. I only know how to anchor for Thunderbird, I don't know how to do this for Outlook Express, but another FDISR-user might have a solution. Anchoring the folder of Outlook Express might be enough.
    Anchored folders/files are not frozen, so they keep their changes, even when the snapshot is frozen.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  7. WilliamP

Thank you Erik for the help. When you freeze the snap does it create another snap? In the control panel you have Freeze,Unfreeze and Freeze Previous. What is Freeze Previous for?

8. screamer

screamer Registered Member

To anchor you OE mail:

From the Outlook Express menu select Tools | Options | Maintenance and click the StoreFolder button. You see a dialog with the name of the directory that has your mail files. If you look in that directory you find files named after your mail folders and news groups. They all have a .DBX suffix. Outlook Express keeps all messages in these database files.

In the Anchor option, just navigate to this location an add it to your anchored folder.

hth,

...screamer

9. ErikAlbert

WilliamP,
    I never used the function "Freeze Previous", only "Freeze" and "Unfreeze", but this is what the Help says about it :

To explain the "Freeze" more in detail, this is what happens :

1. The first time when you freeze, FDISR does a copy/update from "Active Snapshot" to "Freeze Storage.arx", which is in fact an archived snapshot that is ONLY used for a frozen snapshot.

2. During EACH reboot FDISR does an automatic invisible copy/update from "Freeze Storage.arx" to "Frozen Snapshot" by adding, deleting and replacing objects until the frozen snapshot = Freeze Storage.arx and this removes all changes in the frozen snapshot.
    This happens behind the "Welcome" screen during the reboot process, which will be displayed longer than during a normal reboot.

3. If you re-freeze, FDISR does a copy/update from "Frozen Active Snapshot" to "Freeze Storage.arx".
    This UPDATES all changes of the "Frozen Snapshot" in the "Freeze Storag.arx".

So if you do a Windows Update or an update of signatures of your scanner(s) or any other update, you have to "Freeze" again, which is also called "Re-freezing".

There is only one BIG problem : keeping your "Freeze Storage.arx" MALWARE-FREE and this is something you have to keep constantly in mind, when you RE-FREEZE.
    The first "Freeze" requires a CLEAN active snapshot.
    After that each "Re-freeze" requires also a CLEAN frozen snapshot.
    As long the "Freeze Storage.arx" is clean, you will reboot each time in a clean frozen snapshot.
    The way you solve this depends on the usage of your security softwares.
    FDISR is NOT a security software, it only removes or updates CHANGES, good or bad.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  10. WilliamP

Thank you all for the help.

11. WilliamP

Right now I have two snapshots. Rather than a frozen snapshot, what would be the difference if I just make a third snapshot and use it as a frozen snapshot?

12. ErikAlbert

That is possible and there is nothing wrong with it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.