Freeware Alternatives to VLC?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That looks quite interesting.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's worth trying, it worked better than GOM for me. It was some time ago that I first used it, but as I posted earlier I have not felt the need to try anything else since.

3. Daveski17

Yes, I may well have a closer look at it. I think I'll give GOM a miss.

4. Daveski17

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has answered, I really appreciate it. I knew my fellow Wilderians would know useful stuff LOL!

Anyway, I have more or less decided to go with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. I have run the PortableApps version & it works beautifully. So, if the 2.0.7 VLC release is still suffering this problem I will most probably use MPC HC in the future.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

MPC needs it as well, if you want a hardware acceleration. I see no reason to avoid DX anyway? By the way, I prefer skinless MPC without controls, just with a seek bar. :)

6. Daveski17

Looks cool. :cool:

7. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

If you've decided to go with MPC-HC, the CCCP I linked to contains this, as well as the LAV Filters which will play just about anything you throw at it.

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

A small update to my test with PotPlayer.

I tried to run the portable version from a flash drive on an older XP machine. No go. It just kept loading and loading and loading. In contrast, I ran the latest portable SMPlayer from the same PC/flash drive. It popped up fairly quickly and worked fine. As I noted earlier, once you have it running, PotPlayer renders the video quality well. But it does appear to have some "issues" that a user might need to deal with.

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Gave a quick test to the portable MPC-HC. The GUI looks ok and it loads up from a flash drive. But when testing it using a DVD, the clickable "Play" on-screen menu button was non functional. oddly, the DVD worked fine on the installed version of MPC-HC. So... there are some negative differences between the desktop and portable versions.

I know you've already made your player choice. But I thought I'd throw in one last opinion. For apps that (in my testing) work well as portable, I would choose SMPlayer and VLC. Neither are perfect (as we all agree that they have, or likely have, issues.) But they do run from flash drives, where some others do not. (Both are available from PortableApps.com)

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I use Zoom Player for pretty much all my video files. It plays everything I throw at it and loads/ begins playing videos faster than any other player I have used. There's a free version but it installs OpenCandy (IIRC) so I use the Pro which can be found time to time in forum giveaways. I'm not sure if the paid trial changes to free without OpenCandy once the trial is complete, maybe so. Plays Cellphone 3GPP (3GP/3G2)

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml

11. TairikuOkami

Just wondering, what is the point of installing any codecs, if MPC can play anything without them? Am I missing something, like a better image quality?

12. Daveski17

OK thanks.

13. Daveski17

I've used VLC portable before without any problems. I haven't noticed any problems yet with the portable MPC-HC but I will probably go with the installed version if VLC 2.0.7 doesn't fix the sound bug anyway. Thanks for the info though.

14. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

That's a question for the CCCP devs.

15. Daveski17

I've been giving the installed version of MPC-HC a bit of a run, it's a definite keeper. :thumb:

16. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Im using VLC 2.06 64 bit version without issues. I tried so many times to switch VLC to something else but every time I come right back.

17. Daveski17

Do you run 3gp files?

18. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

No, I don't even know what these are.

19. Daveski17

They're often the files used on mobile (cellular) phones. I can normally run them on VLC after sending the files to my computer. I have found the sound problem on more than one computer, so it isn't specific to any one machine. MPC-HC solves the problem anyway. There was no problem with VLC 2.0.5.

20. Daveski17

Oh well, I have discovered that MPC-HC sticks on one or two of my 3gp files. These were files that were edited on the phone I recorded them on. It happens on more than one computer as well, so it isn't a system problem. QuickTime plays them perfectly well. I have since uninstalled MPC-HC. :'(

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i use
    -http://mpc-hc.org/
    with option video direct show ->overlay mixer render ->plays high rev video with a 5% cpu usage ;)

may i ask about Media Player Classic Home Cinema Black Edition Mod ?
    it's only skinned? because looks old
    MPC-HC is 1.6.7.7114

about
    may i know where can i get it?
    thanks
    greetings

22. TairikuOkami

I just disabled controls (press CTRL+2) and borders (keep pressing CTRL+0) while having MPC-HC video window open (for comparison).

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

:)

in short do you use MPC-HC and ctlr+2 and ctrl+0 make it skinless ?

thanks

24. TairikuOkami

Yes. It is a wonder, what people can do, when playing with options, just like Explorer++ gets so simple, when everything gets disabled. :)

25. Daveski17

OK, ladies & gentlemen, finally (I hope) we have a winner. I have been testing the PortableApps SMPlayer & it does play all of my 3gp files perfectly. SMPlayer has a nice interface & audio & video is good quality.

Does anyone who uses SMPlayer regularly have any tips or info about it?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.