Freespire ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by CloneRanger, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

The Freedom of Choice

http://www.freespire.org

Anyone use/used it ?

Any good ?

How does it compare to other flavours, in ease of use etc for "typical" Windows users ?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It's a dead project, last update 2006 or so :(
    Mrk

3. Yep, dead. If you want an easy distribution I'd recommend Ubuntu LTS, 10.04 is great.

Another possibility, if you have a fast computer, is OpenSuSE - it has something of an advantage in that pretty much everything is configurable through the YAST GUI, so it's probably better for Windows power users. Also it makes it much easier to compile stuff. However, it is also very bloated. For netbooks and the like I'd therefore recommend Ubuntu 10.04.

Finally, if you want stability and nothing but stability, CentOS is the way to go. It is slow to boot, but very fast to run and marvelously stable. The software is a little outdated, but it's kept patched with the latest security fixes, and SELinux is enabled by default. It will not work on most netbooks and really new machines though.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I was asking on behalf of someone else, as i've never used Linux, and they asked me.

Looked nice etc to me, but if it's not supported anymore, then i don't think i should be recommending it. Even though i would go ahead and try it myself, if i was tempted and had time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.