FREE Vs paid software

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by garry35, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

hi everybody this is my first post, allthough i have been browsing for a while now. i am thinking of buying PGP purely for on demand file encryption, before i decide to buy i would like to know if there are any advantages to buying a paid for program (pgp in my case) and can they be trusted, are they as secure as the free alternatives ?. also are there any free alternatives i should consider ?. my main considerations are strong encryption and doesnt slow my system to a crawl. i would also like to be able to store my encrypted files on a usb pendrive or external drive and decrypt them at for example a friends computer without leaving any traces or leaving sensitive data ie.bank details,logins etc behind.

thanks in advance

Garry.

2. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

3. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

I have approx. 130 Apps., about 95% are Freeware and run like fun.

Many of them I got from Snapfiles, this might be worth a look at for
    Pendrive use and they probably have very good freeware Apps. for
    other Encrypted use.

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/usb-safeguard/usbsafeguard.html

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

SafeHouse does what you want. It's free, has a simple, attractive UI and will run from a USB flash drive.

www.safehousesoftware.com

5. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I use GnuPG on my Linux box and it is excellent. There is also a Windows version. GnuPG is basically a FOSS version of PGP -- it does just about everything PGP does with the added advantages of being free of charge and licensed under the GPL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.