Free vs. Paid Security Software

Discussion in 'polls' started by puff-m-d, Feb 7, 2006.

?

Do you rely on free and/or paid security software?

1. I rely entirely on [b]free[/b] security software.

25.9%
  2. I rely entirely on [b]paid[/b] security software.

13.9%
  3. I rely on a combination of both [b]free and paid[/b] security software.

60.2%
  1. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

I use a combination..

The freebies are mostly system hardeners and on-demand scanners.

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

On various laptops I use free licenses offered by magazines: nod32, KIS, Fsecure, Gdata etc. and several other tools and toys to play with.

Gerard

3. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

I use only freeware: it goes somethink like this, dropmyrights, firefox, comodo firewall, eraserl, neo safekeys

4. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Eset Smart Security only. I like - personally to keep things simple:D

5. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Free:
    Avast 5
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    SpywareBlaster 4.3
    Privoxy 3.0.16
    Various Firefox security-enhancing add-ons

Paid:
    Windows 7: SEHOP
    Windows 7: DEP
    Windows 7: LUA
    Windows 7: UAC
    Windows 7: Firewall
    WinPatrol Plus 18.1

6. timestand

timestand Former Poster

Fun how you say windows 7 is paid. then all need say windows is paid also. Anyway I guess you smart man. Why no use SRP or applocker? And who say you need pay for windows 7 ultimate any way. Joke. Or am i.

7. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Nice old poll :)

Although I use a few free applications , I rely mainly on paid software . There is nothing free and Quality is Not Free.

8. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Wrong.

9. icr

icr Registered Member

I don't completely agree with you:) There are many free alternatives that can match to any of paid products;)

10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I agree, of course quality and free go together also.

What's kinda frightening sometimes is the amount I've spent on software which I no longer use for one reason or another. I also buy server software which can be 5, 10 or more times as much as personal.

11. xandros

xandros Registered Member

some times i use pay antivirus & some times i use free antivirusm , for example i use at first kaspersky then i leave it and i use nod32 then i leave it then i use avast pro then i leave it then i use nod32 again then i leave it then i use kaspersky again then i leave it then i use panda cloud security then i leave it then i use comodo internet security then i dont know if i will leave it or no

12. mrgigabyte

mrgigabyte Registered Member

i use both i like to support a company if their a good company with their support and i am also impress when they are on the forums helping people out with their software

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I used Paid on several PCs (i.e. DefenseWall, KeyScrambler Pro, and Rollback/EAZ-Fix/AyRecovery)

14. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

i like free and open source software of course not always i can find something in that category (free and open source)

15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Although I rely on free products because I can't afford pay products I do feel at times some products are worth paying for. So sure you can get products for free but at times if you really want a product you have to pay.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I found "FREE" many time outweigh commercial apps when it comes strickly to security ware programs.

17. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I've always felt that there's no reason to buy somthing you can get for free. That said, if I find something I really like, I'd consider purchasing it. Unfortunately a lot of software companies aren't satisfied with selling you an application. They put time limits on it or make it dependent on "updates" so that you have to keep paying. I will not pay for any software that is time limited or makes me dependent on the vendor for it to remain viable. The software has to stand on its own and work this year, next year, and as long as I choose to use it.

18. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

A combination of free and paid if you want to count (as I do) imaging applications as security software.

19. dolph39

dolph39 Registered Member

Mainly use paid for real time protection with a few freebies added on. Currently using NIS 2010. I like the set it and forget features in the paid suites better. Comes in handy when I go a while without running a "second opinion" scanner. Found that when running Norton or Kaspersky my PC's stay cleaner. Yes the cost for these products is steep, but I've purchased both of these products for a fraction of the list cost on Amazon. For a 3 user license,worth it for top notch products.

20. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

I use both free and paid programs (which I usually get for free from giveaways ;) ). I don't think there is any quality difference between paid and free products, I simply use what works best. Sometimes free programs, sometimes paid, sometimes both (for example paid AV and a free firewall). In some rare cases when a paid program would be the best for me, but I can't afford to pay for it and can't find a good giveaway, I am forced to use free products.

21. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm pretty happy with the freeware security I use (MSE, SAS, SpywareBlaster etc). It's nice of companies to make this stuff available. Of course, it does improve their tax status to give stuff away. ;)

22. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Paid:
    • Norton Internet Security 2011
    • Emsisoft Mamutu 3.0.0.16
    Free:
    • Hitman Pro 3.5.6 Build 115
    • Emsisoft Emergency Kit 1.0.0.19

23. carat

carat Guest

I rely entirely on free security software - there is no reason to pay for security software these days :)

24. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Firefox addons, Avast, MBAM and Sandboxie are a near bullet proof freeware solution. (I have one partition with only XP Sp3, Firefox and SandboxIE for over a half year and it is one of my safest partitions and I go everywhere on the web).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.